fifteen

harper

"so you're all set for tomorrow?" i ask hopefully over the phone on saturday morning.

the week without him was horrible.
i had to do my own stuff.

"yes, i should be good. the doctor said i'm no longer contagious, and my fever is gone," ethan replies and i hear him doing something in the back ground. the sound of pots and pans makes me assume he's cooking.

"that's great," i breathe out. "i mean, obviously i'm glad you're okay, but it's amazing that you can make it on sunday. you have no idea how much this saves me."

"why is it that big of a deal that you show up with a guy?"

i hesitate. "my family... didn't believe in me at first. they thought i should've married rich. but now that i'm on the road to success, they want me to settle down and stuff. it's stupid."

"okay," he simply replies. "is there anything that i should know?"

"should we make you an alter ego?" i offer, clicking my pen on my leg.

"i get to be myself or i'm not going."

"you run a tough bargain," i sigh. "but deal. no, there's nothing major for you to know. my grandma is a mouth kisser, if that's something that should be said."

he chuckles softly and sighs a little. "noted. i'll be sure to stay away from grandma."

"pick me up at 11 tomorrow?"

"yes ma'am."

********

sunday morning

"your chauffeur has arrived," ethan says, leaning against the frame of my door as soon as i open it.

my stress levels are through the roof, and he must notice, because he gives me a look of concern.

"are you okay?"

"yes," i brush past him, fanning out my face and taking deep breaths. "just... nervous. very nervous."

"why? it's just your family," he points out.

"exactly!" i exclaim as i open his car door and slide in.

he rushes to get into the drivers seat. "relax, harper. it'll be fine. i practiced my lines. wanna hear?"

his words make me giggle a little bit for the first time of the day. "give em to me."

he clears his throat, as if about to dive into a ten minute monologue about his life.

"my name is ethan dolan, i currently reside in the busy city of chicago as i work for the inventors of shoe umbrellas—"

"shoe umbrellas?" i shriek out in amusement. "that can't possibly be a thing."

"it is. now hush, i wasn't done," he says. "anyway, i live with my dog, ruby, and me and you met in a night club. from first glance, you fell in love with my dashing looks, and begged me for a date. i declined your offer multiple times, but you just kept your charming persistence and eventually i caved."

i raise an eyebrow. "really? that's our backstory?"

he gives me a smile before buckling his seatbelt.
"yup. take it or leave it."

"fine. just drive, it's a long one."

ethan immediately turns on the music, and ABBA fills the car.

when all is said and done starts playing, which causes me to remember the fortune cooking from that one night.

it makes me sad all over again, since it seems like i'll never find love right in front of me. i've clawed my way to the top for everything i have right now, so i feel i'll have to do the same to find someone.

i turn to ethan, and by the look on his face, he's thinking of the fortune as well. he doesn't necessarily look sad, but more curious and excited.

throughout the ride, we play ispy (he cheated, i don't know how) and talk about random things that come to mind.

an hour into the trip, i notice that neither of us has mentioned anything about work. it's nice that way.
i genuinely enjoy his company whenever, but especially when i'm not stressing over small things at the office.

"question of the day," he announces suddenly, reaching to turn down the music. "my friend asked me this one, and i knew it would be the next question."

"ask it, then."

he gives me a side eye. "actually now that i think about it more, i don't know. it's kind of... not something you should ask your boss."

"does it look like we're at work right now? seriously, what is it? i'm curious now."

"okay, okay, fine," he caves. "would rather give up food, or sex?"

a laugh escapes my lips immediately. "what kind of question is that?"

"just answer it! i haven't decided yet."

"obviously i'd give up sex. i'm hoping your answer is the same..."

"i don't know," he shrugs. "it's good that i'll never have to make that decision."

"pig."

"aw, thanks," he turns to me with a sarcastic smile.

music floods the car again, and i let my head relax on the headrest, nodding along with the lyrics.

i don't remember dozing off, but i wake up to ethan peering at me curiously.

"we're here... i think. i tried my best to find the address, but you were sleeping."

"thanks," i yawn and glance out the window. "yeah, this is the place."

"did you sleep last night?"

"not at all."

"i literally just went out and bought you more melatonin. you know it helps stress, too—"

"i know, i know," i interject, waving off his concerns. "i'm fine, just a little tired. don't get all 'worried assistant' on me right now. we're supposed to be a believable couple, remember?"

he nods. "right. should we go in now?"

i sigh, looking at the cars lined along the street and the small snowflakes falling on the windshield.

"let's get this over with."