thirty-four

ethan

i wake up new year's day with a note from kris on the pillow next to me.

i had fun :) unless you're a one night stand type of guy, you should text me.

if you're not interested, no worries. but, i hope to maybe see you soon.

xo, kristina reynolds
(555-7213)

i groan and cover my face with my hands. i feel like such a douche, even though this is not the first girl i've taken back to my place after only knowing them for a maximum of twenty minutes.

plus, i was wrong.

harper is still fresh in my mind.

it kills me knowing that she had a new year's kiss, and it wasn't with me. it was with a little med school jerk with perfect hair.

and this probably means that they'll start to actually date and give the boyfriend/girlfriend label to each other. and that means any sliver of a chance i ever had is gone. totally obliterated into thin air, honestly.

i've never been one to crush. can adults even consider them crushes, or is that too elementary?

but nonetheless— harper has caught my eye these past few weeks.

i told myself when i met harper and started to work for her that i would never think of her in any other way than a friend.

she's testing my promises, that's for sure.

i send a text to mark and grayson, asking if they got home safely. they respond an hour later saying that they're fine, just hungover. i think this is my first new years in three years where i'm not, actually.

it's officially the start of a new year, and to try to prevent myself from feeling as useless as possible, i put on my workout clothes and head to the gym.

music flows through my airpods as i flash my key fob that indicates my membership, and the girl behind the desk sends me a smile.

she's leaning over the counter a little, trying to show off some cleavage.

she looks maybe 18, and so i quickly turn away to let her know i'm not interested. my usual workout is some stretching, then weights, then the treadmill.

as suspected, the building is packed full of people that most likely will stop coming next week, already losing sight of their new year's resolution.

i begin my pre-workout stretches in the weight room, and try to send friendly looks to the people who steer clear around me.

am i that intimidating?

just as i'm about to pick up a set, a fairly scrawny teenager in the corner catches my eye. he's on the bench, huffing and sputtering to try and lift a weight way too heavy for him back up onto the bar.

i quickly run over and grab the middle of it, and he sends me a look full of relief.

after i help him slowly set it back up, he sits upright and breathes out heavily, face all red.

i clap his shoulder. "you okay?"

he nods quietly and gives me a long look. "yeah, thank you. i guess i probably shouldn't start that heavy."

i shake my head. "probably not, but it's all good. i would maybe start with 60 and work your way up. do you need anymore help?"

still slightly frazzled, he says, "no, i think i'm okay. thank you, seriously. i thought it was going to fall on my neck."