~Hotel Shooter~ 💜

Third POV

The entire squad, bar Charles and Jake who were away at a task force meeting, were gathered around a radio as news of an active shooter came through. Jake and Charles came into the bullpen talking loudly about something. Danii turned and shushed them. They both walked over to Gina's desk where the squad was gathered. "Be advised. We have a shooting or something going on in Brooklyn Heights." The radio crackled. Danii tensed as she heard where the shooting was. "What's going on?" Jake asked. "There's an active shooter in a hotel in Brooklyn Heights." Holt explained. "Requesting additional unit, squad dispatch." The voice came from the radio again. "Multiple casualties. ESU is en route and nearby officers are responding to the scene right now." Holt continued. "We have people running. Advising six or seven shots fired." The female voice that had been coming through the radio was cut off by another male voice. "Numerous civilians coming this way."

"Warick, 9238, show me going."

"9239, I have you going."
Danii took a deep breath, praying that Rosa's name and badge number didn't come through that radio.

"Hilbert, 9825, show me going."

"9826, I have you going."

"What are they saying?" Gina asked. "Show me going and their badge number. They're telling dispatch that they're close by and they're responding." Holt explained. Danii tapped her foor impatiently, an action that didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the squad. She was silently praying she didn't hear Rosa's voice come from that radio.
"Diaz, 3118, show me going."
"Dammit!" Danii screamed, slamming her fist against the table before turning around and running her hands through her hair. She turned back towards the squad. "I was supposed to be there with her. I was supposed to be in Brooklyn Heights with her!"

"So there's limited information about the situation in Brooklyn Heights, but I did manage to speak to a Captain at the 9-7, who offered an update." Captain Holt told the squad in the briefing room.
"Do we know how many shooters?" Jake asked.
"Two, possibly three. Again, the situation's still developing, but as of now there are three dead and multiple wounded, all civilians." Danii's mouth went dry as she heard the Captain mention the death toll.
"So we're going up there, right? To help Rosa?" Jake proposed. Danii kept her gaze fixed on the floor in front of her.
"ESU is on the scene and the 9-7 is locking down the area. It's already a zoo. They wanted us to remain on alert but not to respond."
"Yeah, but that's just a suggestion. Like how they tell you to drink eight glasses of water every month." Jake argued.
"A day." Terry corrected.
"Sarge come on. This is not the time for jokes."
"Jake's right." Danii mumbled.
"Thank you Danielle." Jake said, gesturing towards the ravenette. "Not about the water thing. About helping Rosa." Danii looked up from the floor.
"It wasn't a suggestion. We've been order to go about our business as usual." Holt addressed the whole room although he was mainly talking to Danii. "So I'm supposed to sit idly by while my girlfriend gets shot at. What if it wasn't Rosa down there?" Danii moved so her forearms were resting on her thighs. "What if it was Jake?" She gestured to Amy. "Amy?" She gestured to Jake. "Genevieve?" Charles. "Sharon." Terry. "Kevin." She pointed towards Captain Holt as she stood up.
"You'd be pushing us out the way to get your ass down there as fast as you can." A collective gasp circulated around the room. No one dared to directly cuss at the Captain. "Why can't I go get Rosa?!" Captain Holt took a deep breath.
"ESU has ordered us to stay here." He said, more calmly than he felt. After all one of his most intimidating detectives was just about screaming at him. "FUCK ESU! I've lost too many good people to this city, I'm not about to loose her!" Danii shouted, her nostrils flaring as she tried to hold back tears. "I know you're all concerned about Rosa, but she's not going in alone. She's part of a massive NYPD response." Holt didn't make eye contact with Danii and instead looked past her to the rest of the squad.
"I don't wanna go down there as a cop, I wanna go down there as a civilian who's looking for her girlfriend! Please." Danii voice broke as she spoke that last word. Tears fell neatly down her cheeks as Captain Holt finally met her gaze.
"I'm sorry Danielle but you can't go down there." He said. Danii took a deep breath. The sadness and worry that had overcome her for a moment being replaced once again with anger. "Fine! But when she comes home if there is so much as a scratch on that girl, I'm blaming you. Not the shooter. Not anyone who was down there. You. And you alone." She spat pointing at Captain Holt as she stormed from the room.

Danii spent her day pacing nervously around the precinct, constantly finding excuses to walk over to the fridge where the Captain had placed the radio incase any news came through.

By the end of her shift Danii had began to loose hope. No news obviously meant bad news. As she walked back up from the second floor bathroom she sighed and willed herself not to think about the things that could possibly have happened to her Latina girlfriend. She plugged in her headphones in hope of distracting herself. If she hadn't had her headphones in maybe she would've heard the rest of the squad telling her Diaz was in the bathroom with Amy and Gina.
Fortunately Danii had decided to go and see what Santiago and Gina had been up to. She walked in to see Rosa Diaz in the middle of a group hug. She didn't know whether to be more surprised that Rosa was ok or that she was openly accepting a hug. Danii put her headphones in her pocket as she smirked at three of them from the door. Gina was the first to spot her, pulling away from the hug and urging Amy to do the same. Rosa looked up and her eyes welled with tears as they connected with Danii's. Danii opened her arms and allowed her girlfriend to run into them with an almost silent cry of her name. The second Rosa was in Danii's arms she began to sob loudly. Her mumbles of 'I thought I was gonna die.' and 'I was scared I'd never see you again.' almost going unnoticed. Danii smiled lightly and rubbed Rosa's back in comfort. Amy said something about giving them a minute as she practically dragged Gina from the room.
"I thought I wasn't gonna come home." Rosa said, pulling out the hug and tucking her hair behind her ear. She kept her eyes on the ground and didn't seem to know what to do with her hands. Danii took her hands in hers.
"But you did." Danii smiled at her. Rosa still didn't meet Danii's gaze. "I thought I was gonna get shot. I was so scared Danii. I-"

Amy and Gina walked through to the bullpen. They had expected to see the whole squad working but instead they were gathered around Jake's desk taking in hushed voices. Jake spotted them first. "I'm assuming Danii was really worrried then." He chuckled slightly. Amy furrowed her brows.
"I mean we can hear her sobbing from here." Jake explained. Amy nodded in realisation. "That's not Danii. That's Rosa." Gina said much to the surprise of the group.

"I thought I wasn't gonna come home to you." Rosa concluded her ramblings. Danii grabbed the other girls waist and pulled her towards her. "But you did." She pulled Rosa in a soft kiss. Rosa sighed and wrapped her arms around Danii's neck.
"I thought I-" Rosa began as they pulled back. Danii put a finger to her lips silencing her. "But you did."