Ranpo•Kunikida: We Love You, Edogawa Ranpo

Kunikida POV

I was slowly walking towards the hospital, my eyes empty as I balanced myself on the edge of the sidewalk. The doctor's voice still rung in my ears.

"I'm sorry, he didn't make it"

I entered the hospital and walked towards the elevator, pressing the number 4 and waiting. I exited the elevator and saw all the Ada and a few pm members. They looked at me sympathetically and I walked towards Dazai.

"Did you guys see him?" I asked softly with my head down.

"Yeah we wanted to stay here after you see him too" he said in an unusual serious voice.

I nodded then looked at the door that was separating me from my lover's dead body. I took a deep breath and opened the door and entered the room.

And there he was. His dead body laying on the hospital bed, his skin pale, face emotionless, chest not moving up and down. I walked to the bed and looked at him.

"Hey, Edo" I said in a shaky voice, trying to keep the tears in.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. I'm useless. So fucking useless. I couldn't save the one person I loved!" I was crying by now but I couldn't care to wipe the tears away.

"If I had run a little faster, if I had caught your hand one moment earlier than maybe there would be a chance that you'd still be alive! It was all my fault. I guess your favorite quote matched the situation. At the end of the day, we only know how to protect people by hurting them." I couldn't breath by now so I stopped, wiping away as many tears as I could and I sat down on the bed, grabbing his cold hand between mine.

"I still don't wanna believe that you're dead. The bed doesn't feel the same. My arms feel empty every night without you between them, telling me about all your favorite candies. I will miss how you were always so happy, smiling and giving off positive vibes. You were the first person that met so many of my ideals. And now you're gone. Gosh I'm so useless. You don't know how much I loved you. I still do. And I always will. I know I'm getting all sappy and stuff but I feel like if I don't say this now, then I won't say it ever again. So yeah, I love you so fucking much! More than you can even imagine! And this love will never end, not even after my death!" I was shaking by now as more tears fell on my lap.

"I know you probably think that I'm pathetic, crying over my dead lover's body. I promise I'm not. I just can't stand this loss. I know that I didn't say I love you that often but trust me I did. I loved you with my entire heart and soul. I was willing to let go of my ideals for you! And now you're gone." I sighed and looked at him.

"I promise, Edo, I swear to God that I will never forget you! Ever! Even if I end up losing my memory, I promise I'll never forget you. Not you. I will try to move on from your death, but I can't promise you that I will find another person to fit my ideals. I don't want to find a person like that too. You were the only one for me and I won't let you go! I know that you'll always be by my side, you always were and I'm grateful for that. The cascet will be here any minute now. This is the last time I will see you." tears started falling again and I took a shaky breath.

"I'll miss you. A lot. Just remember that I love you, no matter what happens" I finished and leaned down kissing him on the lips one last time slowly.

The door opened but I didn't pull back. After a few seconds I pulled away and connected out foreheads one last time.

"I love you" I whispered then looked towards the door where Fukuzawa-san was standing with the people from the funeral office.

"Kunikida, it's time to go" said Fukuzawa and I nodded, getting up and leaving the room.

Outside everyone was standing, even the Port Mafia had come, since we were connected and all.

One by one everyone came to give me their condolences. First Dazai and Chuuya, then Atsushi and Akutagawa, Tanizaki with his sister, Kyouka with Yosano, Hiyoomi and Gin, Kenji and Ango, Mori and Fukuzawa.

We started heading downstairs and towards the cemetery for the funeral.

~~~time skip, five years later~~~

"Daddy where are we going?" asked my 5-year-old daughter.

"We are going to visit papa, sweetheart" I said smiling at her.

I had adopted her after her mother died of cancer, a few months after Edo's death. She was an ability user as well.

"But you said that he is dead. How are we going to visit him?" she asked and tilted her head, her big green eyes shining.

"We are going to his grave, sweetheart" I said smiling and she just said a quiet "oh" before nodding.

We arrived at the cemetery and walked towards his grave. I looked at the stone where his name was engraved and smiled bitterly.

"Hey, Edo, I'm here with our daughter" I said smiling and sat down, grabbing Okemia and sitting her on my lap.

"Come on, Okemia, talk to papa" I encouraged her smiling. She nodded and turned towards the gravestone.

"Hi papa. My name is Okemia. Daddy told me that you had died a few months before you adopted me. I feel sad that I didn't get to meet you. By the pictures and what daddy told me you sound like a really sweet person. So, I guess I should tell you some things about me. I'm five years old, I have your eyes, as I saw from the pictured that daddy showed me and I really like solving mysteries. Daddy said that you liked solving mysteries too! I know that I can't meet you, dead people can't come back to life, but sometimes I feel as if you're watching over me. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you and say that I love you, but I told daddy to tell you that I love you too, despite not knowing you!" she said. Yes, despite her age she was smart, I didn't have to lie about the adoption or the death. She talked a little more and then went off to chase a cat.

"Hey Edo. Long time no see. I wanted to visit earlier but I wanted you to meet her, so I took her today that she didn't have school and we came. I hope you like her, she is an ability user as well. She reminds me of you, you know. She liked solving mysteries, eating candy and those eyes. Those eyes remind me so much of you. I love her as much as I love you. I miss you, you know. Even after all these years, it's not the same. But I'll manage. She is healing me, little by little. That little empty space in my heart is slowly being filled again. I love you, but I have to go put her to bed. Goodnight, see you soon"

I got up and walked towards my daughter.

"Come on Okemia, time to go home" I said and she lifted her hands and I picked her up.

"Papa must have been really sweet and funny" she commented as we exited the cemetery.

"Yeah, he is" I said and smiled nostalgically as she smiled at me. Damn, even this smile reminds me of him.

"I love you daddy" she yawned and laid her head on my shoulder as I took the final turn.

"I love you too Okemia" I whispered and kissed her forehead.

"Tell papa that I love him too okay?"

"Okay sweetheart, now sleep" I whispered and heard her breathing relax. I looked up at the sky, a few stars appearing, with tears streaming down my face.

"We love you, Edogawa Ranpo"

Ayo, angsty chapter cheeeeeeck!

Okay but seriously guys, I hope I did a good job, I don't know why but I've been in an angsty mood lately and yeah.

I'm sorry.

I hope you liked it, I wanted to write an emotional Kunikida and yeah as much as I love Ranpo, I had to kill him for this one.

So yeah, I hope you liked the chapter, see you on the next one guys!

Eva out!