Chapter 16: Such a Mess

I was packing, getting ready to head back to Belfast, when my phone rang. I smiled with joy when I saw my caller, "Hi Daddy!"

"Hey Poppett! What's shakin'?"

I giggle as always, "All's good, Daddy. I'm in Argentina and getting ready to head back to Belfast to finish my last two weeks of filming. Where are you?"

"That's why I'm calling, baby doll. I'm headed to Belfast to spend some time with you, is that okay?"

My heart skips a beat, "Of course! I have plenty of room! When are you coming?"

He chuckles at me, "That leads me to my next point. Della called me because there was no way to get the three of you out of Buenos Aires and into Belfast on a direct flight. As luck would have it, I have two old friends that have been golfing there. We were planning to meet in Scotland for golf, but given you need to get to Ireland, I flipped our schedule. Are you okay sharing a plane with a few people?"

"Of course, Daddy. You know I'm grateful for the help. Do I know these friends?"

He snickers, "They are from my Miami Vice days. Good guys. You'll be fine. Comfortable. And Ted won't break a sweat, I promise."

I snort at that, "Thank you, Daddy. I know you'd never put me on a plane with anybody that would make my personal security raise so much as an eyebrow."

He clears his throat, "I'm renting a house for the three of us, so I won't be in your space, but I do want to spend time with you."

"No Daddy, I have space for you and your friends. I have a separate condo 3 minutes away. Stay there. The studio is paying for it, we may as well use it."

"Wow. Sounds like they are taking good care of you."

I snort again, "You have no idea."

His voice softens, "How is it working with Jamie?"

I take my time before I answer. "It's actually been really great. He is extremely professional, and maybe a little too protective of me, but otherwise, I have no complaints. They have made it exceedingly comfortable and are willing to give me anything I want."

"But how does Jamie treat you personally?"

I sigh and slump onto my bed, "Like a valued asset. He is utterly protective and attentive, but there is nothing else there, Daddy. All that is in the past. And I'm okay with that. This has been a good experience for me, and probably a necessary one to help me move forward."

"If you say so, Poppet. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon! Morty and Shorty will keep you entertained, trust me.

I belly laugh at that, "Sounds like a circus act!"

He laughs, "You have no idea. But you'll deal with it or fly commercial with two connections and no first-class seats."

I laugh again, "Can't wait to meet Morty and Shorty." I pause and breathe, "Daddy, thank you. For everything. I can't wait to see you."

***

The next day, we're in the car on the way to the airport when I get a google alert about Jamie. Apparently, Della and Ted get the same one because we all gasp at the same time. There is a picture of Jamie with a drop dead gorgeous blond leaning into each other at a table with the caption, 'Darla Jones and Jamie Dornan enjoying an intimate dinner at Petrus in London on Sunday.'

Both of them swing to me and I scoff like I don't care, "We knew this was coming. This is no surprise to me." I look out the window with misery in my eyes. "Let's just get this film done and get the hell out. That's all I want."