Chapter 18: Sweet Hearts

He kept me close with an arm around my waist for the rest of the evening, which was quickly coming to a close. After saying goodbye to the last guests, we made our way to the door. He reached down to link our fingers and then pulled our clasped hands to his chest and held tight the entire way to his car. He maintained his hold on my hand during the ride to my house. Neither of us said much, words weren't really needed right now. We just enjoyed the soft music coming from his sound system and simply being together.

Once he pulled into my driveway and killed the engine, he turned to smile at me softly. "I'm glad you're here. I'm glad WE'RE here." He leans in to me and pulls me closer with an arm around my shoulders and places a tender kiss against my lips. I reach up to hold the back of his head and get as close as I can with a console between us. His other arm comes around to grip my hip and he moans lightly as he deepens the kiss, taking possession of me in a clear and marked way. My heart is racing and I can barely breathe and I want nothing more than to climb into his lap.

His lips leave mine, only to work their way down the column of my neck and then back to tease at my ear lobe, making me shiver. I return the favor and slide my hand down his shoulder to squeeze at his bicep. I can't help myself and slide it over to stroke his chest through his shirt. I've always loved his body. It's been a long time since I've seen him without a shirt, but he feels just as mouthwatering as ever.

I realize we are grown adults necking like teenagers in a parked car and I can't help but giggle when I pull back slightly and see that we have fogged up the windows. "Well, haven't done this in about ten years."

He leans in to bump my nose and grin, "Yeah? Well, I predict it will be happening again. Sit tight, love." He gets out of the car and I blush when I notice him adjust himself discreetly. He comes around to open my door and reaches a hand out to help me. He pulls me up and closes the door, then promptly pushes me back against the car and cages me in with an arm on either side of me and leans his whole body against mine as he takes my lips again. He presses into me with a groan, "Sorry. I've wanted you for so long, I can't get enough. I don't want to let you go."

I give him a shy smile as I reach around to gently squeeze his butt, pull him close to me and hold him there. And then I take control of the kiss, pouring out years of longing.

After a moment, he pushes back with a groan, "We have to stop. Now. Or your neighbors are gonna get a helluva show." I can do nothing more than giggle snort against his chest as he pulls me up from the car and heads to the door, holding my hand tightly. We get to the door and he pulls me around to face him and take my other hand in his. He bends down to give me a sweet kiss, intimate, but not racy and panting like before. Then he plants a lingering kiss on my forehead and mumbles through it. "Will you change your mind and stay here with me for another week?"

I shake my head against his lips, "I can't, Jamie. And besides, this has escalated kind of quickly, so it's probably wise to step back for a few days and just take a breath."

He pops straight up at that. "Quickly? This has been in the making for years! There was nothing quick about it. You're not getting cold feet now, are you?"

I shrug, "Maybe just my toes. I feel the need to be a little cautious. I wouldn't survive losing you again."

He takes my face in his big hands, his thumbs stroking my cheeks, "You be cautious, love. I'll be determined." He kisses me one last time, "And the only way you can lose me is to leave me, because I'm not going anywhere unless it's with you." He nudges my nose and steps back to let me unlock the door.

I give him a small smile and a little wave as I step inside. He backs away with his hands in his pockets, "I'll call you tomorrow, love. Sweet dreams."