Chapter 29: Good Times

The difference between the LA and New York premieres was like night and day. The press in Hollywood is way more 'fluffy', while the NY press is more like 'armed and ready'. They had clearly seen the LA event, so they were much more aggressive with their questions – especially about our personal lives.

We opted to have Jamie arrive with Scott and me since he 'outed' us as a couple in such a big way in LA. When we arrived, Ted jumped out first and did a quick scan, then Scott emerged to shouts and squeals. He gave his signature smile and a wave to the crowd and turned to help me out. Jamie gave me a quick kiss, "Knock 'em dead, love. See you soon." I bumped his nose with mine, "Love you."

I looked up to Scott and he reached out a hand to me. I scooched to the side and slid both legs sideways out of the car, "I need two hands, Scott." He quickly reached out his other and I latched on. He gave a smooth tug and propelled me up and out of the car.

He grinned, "That was quite a feat of engineering right there."

I snorted, "Years of practice avoiding the accidental hoochie photo." The crowd is shouting my name now, and I smile and wave. Ted stays very close as we spend some time signing autographs. I heard yet another reaction as Jamie emerged from the car. I looked over my shoulder to see him smile and wave, but he moved quickly to the carpet, giving us our space and starting his own interviews.

One of the first questions directed at him was "Jamie, where are your debs tonight?"

He chuckled, "I've never escorted a debutante to my knowledge. If you're asking about Dakota's sisters, they weren't able to travel with us."

Jamie stays about three reporters ahead of us, but we're close enough that I catch bits and pieces. One ballsy reporter who is showing WAY too much cleavage asks him flirtatiously, "Where's your escort, Jamie? A man who looks as good as you do in a tux shouldn't be alone."

He threw his head back and laughed, "If you knew Dakota at all, you would know that my showing up with an escort, as you put it, would be a VERY bad idea."

She nods knowingly, "So she wears the pants in the relationship?"

He bends down to speak softly, like he's telling her a secret, "You've seen the movie. You know what she can do to a pair of pants. I'd be a fool to cross that woman. And I can assure you, I'm no fool."

The next reporter goes for the jugular, "Jamie, this is a wonderful movie. I couldn't help but notice the parallels to your history with Dakota, and you even had James Foley – who directed the two of you in the 50 Shades movies – on the project. Is that what inspired you to produce this movie and hire Dakota as the lead?"

He schools his face into passiveness and answers directly. "I bought this script because it is a poignant love story. It evokes laughter, tears, joy, sorrow, sadness, and utter contentment. It is a testimony to the power of an undeniable love – no matter what the world throws at it. I think a lot of people can see their relationship, or the relationship they want, in there. As for James Foley, his resume speaks for itself, so why I would hire him is not a question that needs asking. And technically, HE is the one who hired Dakota and Scott."

Not backing down after the mild slap about Foley, the reporter presses on, "But YOU pay them – they work for you."

Jamie's eyes go steely, "My COMPANY pays them. And that company has investors that expect significant returns. Business decisions are just that – business. Dakota was hired because she is one of the few actors of her generation who can span that range of emotions, which you know if you've bothered to watch the movie." Then he gives a nod and walks away before the guy can ask anything else.