Chapter 24: Twists and Turns

I survived dinner with the potential investors. My brain was still preoccupied with my spat with Dakota, so I let Dad and Chad do most of the conversational heavy lifting. While I hate that I upset Dakota, I don't think I did anything wrong. And I DO believe she is holding a double standard. On the other hand, I appreciate that she told me calmly and rationally what she wanted. That's a big step for her to be honest about what she feels and why. And who I am I kidding, at the end of the day if it's that important to her, then of course I'm going to honor her wishes.

I wasn't planning to go to her house tonight, but there is no way I'm letting her leave tomorrow without putting this issue to rest. Luckily, I have her gate code so I can get in without sounding the intercom. As I step to her door, I see lights on so I tap lightly on the door rather than using my key. I face the outdoor camera I'm sure is looking at me right now and wave to it.

She unlocks the door and steps aside to let me in. "You could have used your key."

I take a moment to appreciate the sight of her in my dress shirt and briefs, and a pair of puppy-themed knee socks. She's afuckindorable. "You weren't expecting me and I didn't want to scare you." I'm having a hard time getting a read on her mood. She doesn't seem mad; she hasn't been crying – she's just quiet. She heads back to her couch and plops down next to an open book. I follow and pick up the book and place it on the coffee table so I can sit close to her. It's not good enough, so I haul her into my lap and keep my arms looped around her waist.

Thankfully, she doesn't resist me, just tucks her head under my chin and settles. "Love, I can't let you leave with this thing unresolved between us. I think you over-reacted, and I don't think I did anything wrong, but I once told you that I listen to you and learn. If this is important to you, then I will make every effort to reserve any terms of endearment or affection for you and the girls."

She shakes her head gently against me, "No, Jamie. I DID over-react. You DIDN'T do anything wrong. You just be yourself, because that's the you I fell in love with." She plays with the buttons on my shirt as she continues, "But I do want you to understand why it rubbed me wrong. In all the years I've known you, I've never once heard you use a pet name with any woman – including your wife."

"Ex-wife."

"Fine. So, when you use them with me, they're special. I know you don't toss them out willy nilly. It means something to me when you call me love or sweetheart or baby. It makes me tingle. It just caught me off guard to hear you say that to another woman, I was struck with the strongest sense of possessiveness I've ever felt." She leans back to look in my eyes, "My whole life, the men who are important to me have used pet names." She grins, "Even JimJim calls me Lass most of the time." We share a smile, "So I didn't think anything of it when Scott called me all kinds of names. It didn't make me tingle. It was like Ted calling me Cupcake. But now that I know how hurtful it can be to you, I'll talk to him and make sure I'm just Dakota from now on."

Now it's my turn to shake my head, "No love. You ooze affection, and it's natural for people to want to coddle you. I wouldn't change that for anything. And as much as I bluster, I DO know deep down that Scott is a good guy. Like you, I could easily picture him as a brother. I don't want to change the relationship you two have. It's not always easy for me to watch, but I do trust you and I'm glad you have someone else to watch over you in your life. There is one thing I will ask, though."

She lifts her eyebrows, "What's that, baby?"

"I need you to lighten up on extolling his virtues. I know he's handsome as sin. I'm sure he looks great on a horse and smells as fresh as a spring day. But I don't need to hear about it, especially from the woman I love. Let's face it, you would be climbing out of your skin if you heard me talking about another woman and admiring how perfect her body is, how soft her skin is, or how her hair bounces when she walks."