Under His Wing

Bruce watched as Julianne's eyes widened as he led her into a lovely workshop near to his office. He internally chuckled as she marveled at the huge wall-to-wall windows that spilled sunlight over the smooth tiles. Her eyes swept over the several tables that lined the room, each equipped with their own tools respective to what the table was to be used for. There was a large, holographic computer that was the centerpiece of the beautiful workshop, a translucent purplish-blue screen that curved around a raised platform.

 On the far wall above a large industrial table, there was a wall of tools, everything from hacksaws to screwdrivers to pencils, and next to it in a large bucket were blocks of pine wood and tubes of blue paper.

 Blueprint paper.

Her eyes lit up.

"I saw your blueprints when you were working on them. It seemed like you're the innovative type." Bruce shoved his hands into his pockets as he tried to explain his actions.

He watched as the intern looked at him and back at the workshop. "You're too kind, Mr.Wayne. I can't possibly-"

"Ah ah ah. This is how I'll show my gratitude for saving my company twice. Your very own workshop for your innovations. Lucius tells me you're a robotics and engineering prodigy."

Julianne looked down, a bit shy as she rubbed the back of her neck. She tugged at her lanyard as she gathered the courage to reply. "Yeah, I guess..."

"Top student at Midtown Hall. Youngest intern at W.E. I have never met someone with the same impressive titles who was as humble as you." Bruce chuckled. "And I saw the blueprints that you scrapped. Incredible ideas. A UV water purifier. Cybernetic robotic assistant system. How do you come up with these ideas?"

Bruce leaned against the doorframe with a tablet in his hands, occasionally looking up to see her face heat up just a teeny bit more, a soft smile gracing her features.

"I daydream a lot. " She said, looking over at the workshop. "But what about my internship at the I.T. Lab?" 

"This is your internship- new and improved. And you can come in anytime you want to work on your projects and I myself will provide you with whatever tools you may need." 

"T-Thank you, Mr. Wayne." 

Bruce looked up at Julianne, who looked like a kid in a candy store. "Can I-"

"Go ahead, kid. It's your workshop."

Immediately she went off, racing to the tables, bouncing about the room and off the walls as she gushed all over the items.

"Oh my god are those  programmable motherboards?! And holy Jesus this place has surround sound?!"

Bruce felt his chest swell with something he couldn't decipher, a strange mix of wistfulness, interest, something bittersweet and something colorful as he watched her. He felt a smile tug at the corner of his lips at the pure joy that radiated off of the girl.

He felt his phone buzz and he sighed, nodding Julianne goodbye as he left the workshop.

******************************************************

It had been nearly three weeks since Julianne had gotten her very own workshop from Mr.Wayne, and oh, was she loving it.

She came in Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and those days ended up being the ones when Bruce had more admin. Sometimes Tsuki, Alaric and Bo tagged along, and the three of them would flop around her workshop or help her out in whatever she was making.