The Charade

The two shirtless boys fought ferociously on the training mat in the cave, their bo staffs clanging against one another. Tim gritted his teeth and shifted his weight over to one side as Damian flipped over him, missing him by an inch.

Tim grinned, and in that split second, Damian struck his staff at the inside of Tim's knees, causing him to hit the ground painfully.

"Oof!"

"T-t. Looks like I win once more." Damian drawled, scratching on another tally underneath his name on the small whiteboard. 

"Whoo! Nice try Timbo! You were great!" Jules clapped, smiling at him encouragingly, but mentally noting everything about the Robin's stances.

It had been three days since the revelation to her that her family was the Robins, and Jules had spent more and more time with them as of since in the Cave.

Sure, she enjoyed their company and the musky air of the Cave, but she was also there so she could be a few steps ahead if there ever came a time when she needed to be.

She'd analysed every inch of the Batcave, marking all the escape routes and weapons racks in the small notebook she carried around everywhere. 

She'd seen the technology behind the cowl and marked out the chinks in the system that she'd later be able to exploit if Batman tried anything.

And for the past three days, she noted all the Robins' fighting styles, watching them train with what they thought was admiration, or maybe even awe.

It wasn't either.

 It was curiosity and calculation.

Jules made sure to keep tabs on their dominant fighting styles and stance. What moves they often attacked with, what moves they defended with, what moves they avoided and what moves they liked.

Damian often sniped his victory with sneak attacks, striking out when the opponent least expected it- that's what caused him to get the most tallies on the board.

Tim was more defensive, bringing out the frustration in the opponent and then using that against them when he finally started attacking. (Of course, with Damian that changes since that boy wants to beat the crap out of him either way.)

Jason didn't come around often to train, but when he did, Jules noted everything,  plopping down instantly next to the sparring arena to see him square up with Dick or Tim. He was more offensive, weakening the opponent before giving him a false sense of hope- and finally sniping that win.  

And Dick's fighting style was the most impressive to Jules- he was a balanced fighter, swiftly and slyly changing between offense and defense in the blink of an eye. Dick would first use offense, figure out the man's blind spots and weaknesses, before tricking the opponent into thinking they were winning, when in reality Dick had the fight already under his belt. 

He'd be the hardest to maneuver around if Nightwing ever attacked me.

But now Jules knew where to target each vigilante warrior. Damian was balanced, for sure, but if you continued blocking and anticipating his sneak attacks he often got frustrated, and whenever his anger took over him was when Jules knew he'd be easier to beat. Tim was more of the watchful type and was susceptible to sneak attacks when he least expected it- sneak attacks that Jules could score by pretending to be down. Jason without his guns had a weak spot just under his ribs that he always protected for some reason, and of course he got irritated when someone played defense for too long. Dick was the best at tricking the opponent into a win, but one that was just as mentally resilient and tricky would be one Dick wouldn't be able to take down.