The Grandfather's Clock

WARNING, ANGST plz dont hate me

its also longer than usual....

************************************

It all makes sense.

Everything makes sense now.

Jules hurried home, her pace frantic, her mind running around and around in her head, flashes of the battle on the bridge flickering in and out of her vision.

The stance at which Robin stood. The tone in Batman's voice. Red Robin's height. Jason Todd, Red Hood- the brotherly interaction between him and the Robins. 

Her senses, which she'd stupidly ignored. 

Ignored it like an idiot, when they were telling her something important.

No, it can't be true, part of her begged her body to stop, to go to her room, to forget all the indicators. To keep being happy with them. 

No, the dots that Jules had connected weren't real. No, they were normal. Her brothers were normal. 

Please let them be normal.

Jules walked into the Manor, her feet instantly shuffling through the hallways, shouting a robotic greeting to Alfred as her legs took her in front of the clock that had given her strange feelings everytime she passed by it.

The grandfather's clock. 

Batman. Two Robins. One Nightwing. One Orphan, one Spoiler.

The three year battle to stay out of his hands. The three years of being one step ahead, of being afraid Batman would send her to some stupid meta lab where she belonged. Some lab where'd they'd chain her up and experiment on her. Where they'd brainwash her into being a husk of a human, a ghost of what she was, and use her as their mindless soldier.

Because Jules had one big fear- and that was losing who she was to what she did.  Losing her spirit and becoming empty and alone. Becoming empty, being alone.

Her two worst nightmares could very well be her reality if she checked behind the clock.

Yet everything was slowly being stripped away from her. Bit by bit. First her parents, then her childhood. All hopes of having a loving home, a loving family.

Family.

Jules felt something gnaw inside her, the years of pushing away her dark thoughts just suddenly crushing her insides into a pulp. She heaved in a breath, pressing her hand to the clock face, letting the cool seep into her palm.

Her fingers moved without accord, her mind locking up and shattering as soon as she managed to open the passageway. Blue lights lit up the elevator, but Jules didn't need to go on it to figure out what was underneath.

Her blood ran cold.

Immediately the world started spinning under her feet.

No! Think positive! It could be a bomb shelter! Think positive! Happy thoughts!

But nothing worked. None of her cry-prevention techniques worked. Nothing would work anymore. 

It felt like the sky fell onto her shoulders. 

He's Batman, he's Batman, he's Batman....

He's a threat, you're in enemy territory, you've been fooled. Stupid Jules, did you really think you could ever have a family like this? It was all a ruse. You'll never have a family.