Even More Dysfunctional...

ANGST

Plus its a long chapter too 

****************************

There she lay.

In her room, on the bed. The covers a pale pink color, the blanket tucking her in almost perfectly, as if she was just in a deep slumber.

She looked so peaceful, her hands clasping a bouquet of carnations and lilies, her hair in soft tumbles down her shoulders, her body surrounded by wildflowers each of the Batfam had picked out for her.

She looked like a nature deity, resting on a bed of blooms. So beautiful.

Damian stepped into her room, the aroma of the flowers mixing in with the scent of paper, ink, old books and machine grease, overpowering his senses in a dizzyingly satisfying way.

He softly made his way over to Jules, his breath shaky as he looked down at his sister.

He gently brushed a strand of hair out of her face,  and he had to remind himself that no matter how much it seemed like Jules was sleeping, she was never to awaken to his touch. No matter how many times he'd call her name now, she would never respond. Never.

Damian was taught to keep his emotions in. Taught never to show weakness. Talia drilled it into him, over and over, never to show his true colors. It took ages for his Father and Alfred to crack through his facade, and even longer for his brothers. It took him a lot to even conjure up a hint of a tear.

But when he saw Jules? When he heard the uncanny silence that uncharacteristically surrounded her, when he saw the pale, death-kissed lips that once used to laugh and tease and love him and his family, when he felt his hand grip onto her icy, bluish skin- he forgot everything Talia said about emotions.

He forgot about control, about showing weaknesses. Everything Talia said to him about never showing your true colors vanished from him.

He forgot about facades of calm, forgot about throwing away all love, forgot about not getting attached. 

When he saw Jules, he saw the girl that once used to dance around the Manor, the girl who fiercely fought alongside them for only a short few months, the girl who saved his life without thinking, the girl whose infectious bright laughter used to fill up the whole Manor, whose smile used to be a beacon of hope for the dim dark world they lived in.

Now that little beacon had shattered.

And the Waynes broke along with it.

 Damian choked out. "You can't leave me too."

He stared down at Jules, remembering every moment- the Hare incident, the battle on the bridge, Grayson's takedown, her bathroom freakout, her first dinner with them, the picture album, the Red Bull incident, the surprise party. Her words just before she went under, teasing his Father, telling Alfred and Babs that she loved them and also telling them without words how much she loved them too.

She was his older sister. She loves- no, loved- him. 

And everyone that loved him always had to leave.

Damian couldn't take it anymore, his eyes and throat burning as he began to cry.

He never cried. The Al Ghul's  tear ducts were sealed off at birth, they weren't allowed to cry. Crying was a weakness.

Yet even so, silent tears trickled down his face as his shaky breathing turned into him gulping in air like he was hyperventilating.

"...Damian?"