The Manor

Jules groaned, quite aware of the limo pulled up outside the house, and of Bo waiting on the doorstep. 

Mr. Whitman hobbled away, drunk again, and Jules gently touched the throbbing bruise on her forehead that was definitely not gonna heal up anytime soon. She was out of concealer, and she had to go to the dinner party with a disgustingly purple contusion.

Did she jinx her luck?  Probably.

"Jules! Hurry!" Bo called through the door as he started making small talk with a friendly looking guy wearing a nice suit. Jules spotted another person, one with dark hair that was somehow tamed down and steel blue eyes- Tim.

Ah, just great.

Jules hurried over to the mirror, yanking out her braid bun and letting the hair fall over the bruise as some sort of concealment, before dusting herself off from the beating and checking over how she looked in the mirror.

She was wearing a pale blue sundress with pink roses patterned over it- a gift from Bea on her birthday, paired with flats and her better messenger bag. She went on with very light makeup, just a hint of highlighter, lip gloss and some mascara. Her hair tumbled unnaturally over her forehead, and she quickly fixed it so it seemed intentional.

God, she was good at hiding her bruises.

Jules smiled, ignoring the aching in her head, before heading out the door.

"After fourty years she hath arrived!" Bo teased immediately, eyes widening as he saw her. "You look killer!"

"Thanks Bo," She laughed. "You're not so bad yourself."

Alfred's eyes scanned over the girl, internally marveling at how her eyes looked like pools of glowing honey in the dying sunlight. No wonder Tim was infatuated.

"It is a pleasure to meet you at last. I'm Alfred Pennyworth, at your service, Miss?" He leaned over and kissed her hand, causing the girl to get adorably flustered and red.

"Oh, uh,Jules. Well, I'm Julianne. Julianne Cress, but I prefer Jules, and I'm at your, uh, I'll just stop talking now. " She mumbled, unhappy with how her brain completely caused her speech to flop.

Alfred chuckled. "Well, Miss Jules, Mr. Bo, shall we?"

"We shall." Bo bowed down playfully and Alfred smiled warmly at both of them, leading them over to the car.

Alfred noted how Tim was staring at Jules, frozen, and he gave the boy a light whack on the shoulder to snap him out of it.

"Thanks Alf," He muttered, collecting himself before looking over at the two of them. "Hey," He nodded over at Jules with a soft half smile, which she returned instantly. 

"Hi Timmy."

"I'm Bo." Bo immediately introduced himself to Tim, unable to hold back his excitement. "Her best friend since kindergarten. It's so cool to meet you!"

"Ah. Nice to meet you Bo." Tim nodded, a strange feeling swirling up in his chest.

They hopped into the car, Alfred holding the door open for them, before he himself got into the driver's seat and started heading back to the Manor.

A silence settled over the car as they drove onto the highway, and Alfred was the one to break it.

"So, when and how did you two meet?" Alfred looked into the rearview mirror, a gentle smile  over his face.

"Kindergarten, right? You knocked over Sandy's juice box and she chased you three blocks down the street? The next day you scribbled all over Boris' turtle with Sharpie?" Bo looked over at Jules, eyebrows furrowed.