Chapter 10 - Eleven Hours

"Have you seen my goddamn phone? We're gonna be late and I can't find it." Emily asks swinging the ajar bathroom door open.

I pull my toothbrush out of my mouth and mumble "Did you check the kitchen counter?"

She turns around and goes into the kitchen before coming back with the phone in hand "I swear to God it wasn't there before."

"Yeah, did you pack everything?" I ask putting my toothbrush down and rinsing the toothpaste out of my mouth.

"I think so, you?"

"I have the memory of Dory with severe Alzheimer's so I've got everything I can think of." I dry my hands and exit the bathroom.

"Did you pack enough clothes? Wait never mind, who am l asking, you have like three outfits in total."

"Three outfits is enough when you only leave the house once a month, aside from classes." I shrug.

"I will never understand you woman." she shakes her head.

"Me either. Anyways, you ready to go?"

"Yeah, but if we get murdered that is on you for telling me to 'loosen up'." she grabs the handle of her suitcase and I strap my back bag over my shoulder.

I figured a back bag would be easier to run from the cops with and I don't have much stuff to bring anyway.

"My ghost would take full responsibility, don't worry. Now let's go."

We exit the apartment and she locks it behind us before taking the elevator to the first floor.

We exit the apartment complex and lo and behold, waiting by a stop sign on the road is a freaking minibus. Actually, it's more of a van than a minibus.

I would probably question whether or not this is actually them if it weren't for the middle finger sticker on the door that says 'Fuck off, then keep fucking off until you get to a gate with a sign that says "you can't fuck off past here" climb over that gate, and keep fucking off forever' in bold letters underneath it.

The window rolls down and Seth pokes his head out from the passenger's seat "Do you guys need an invitation? Get the hell in!"

I slide the door open and we hop in before they start driving off.

Emily and I both take a seat before I say "That's a very welcoming sign you got on your door Aurelio."

"Thank you, I made it myself." he looks back at me through the rear view mirror before focusing back on the road "Bullet proof glass is nearly twice the price of this thing and I spend most of my time here so that will have to keep the weirdos away."

"If I were a criminal and I saw that sign I'd leave just because I feel bad for you."

"Gee, thanks. But hey, you left. That's the whole point. If it works it works." he shrugs. "By the way, when did you start wearing glasses?"

"Since I was eight, I just had contacts on last time you saw me." I say.

"Oh, okay. They look good on you by the way." he smiles through the rear view mirror.

Emily nudges me and smirks mouthing a quick 'he's flirting with you'

I smack her arm in response.

"Thank you, that's sweet. Keep your eyes back on the road if you don't want to get us killed though."

"Oh you mean like this?" he turns the steering wheel just enough for the van to nearly swerve into another car before turning it back.

"Yep, exactly like that. We're gonna need to work on your security system and driving skills later. For now, where are Kai and the rest?" I ask, considering so far I only see him and Seth.