Chapter 2

The quinjet landed at the tower, and they rushed Clint off to the lab on a stretcher. After grabbing the crutches that I kept in the carrier, I followed them to Bruce's lab. They set him up in a regeneration cradle, which went to work repairing his skin. "How is he doing?" Bruce asked, coming over. "Unfortunately, he's still Barton. He's fine. He's thirsty. Alright, look alive JARVIS, it's playtime," I blocked out the rest of what Tony was saying. 

"Are you sure he's gonna be okay? Pretending to need this guy brings the team together," Nat said as a laser thing worked on Clint's wound. "There's no possibility of deterioration. The nanomolecular functionality is instantaneous. His cells don't know they're bonding with a simulacrum," Dr. Helen Cho said. "She's creating tissue," Banner said. "If you brought him to my lab, the regeneration cradle could do this in twenty minutes," Cho said. "Oh, he's flatlining. Call it. Time?" Tony said, walking in with a drink tray.

"No, no, no, I'm gonna live forever. I'm gonna be made of plastic," Clint claimed from his spot on the table. "Beverage," Tony said, passing him a green drink ."You'll be made of you, Mr. Barton. Your girlfriend won't be able to tell the difference," Cho assured him. "I don't have a girlfriend," Clint said. "That I can't fix. This is the next thing, Tony. Your clunky metal suits are gonna be left in the dust," Cho said.

"Well, that is exactly the plan. And Helen, I expect to see you at the party on Saturday," Tony said. "Unlike you, I don't have a lot of time for parties. Will...Thor be there?" She asked tentatively. "Probably, unless something goes wrong on Asgard," I said, and she looked at me. "What are those crutches for?" She asked. "Decoration," I deadpanned, and she turned her head.

"I need them to move," I explained. "Don't you have a spare leg? And a spare for the spare?" Tony asked. "That was the spare of the spare," I said. "What happened to it?" Tony asked. "A bomb went off. Speaking of which, I need a new com. My mask wasn't bulletproof," I said, and Tony tossed one to me.

I caught it and tucked it into my ear. "What happened to your leg?" Cho asked. "I had to get it amputated after a snake bite," I said. "That's it!" Tony said, snapping your fingers. "What's what?" I asked. "Your superhero name. Snakebite," He said.

"Eh, it works," I said, shrugging. "I like it. It's fierce," Nat said from her spot next to the cradle. "Well, I might be able to make you a new leg," Cho said. "How long would that take?" I asked. "A day at my lab, 3 days here," She said.

"I'm not gonna risk it. Who knows what could happen," I said. "Well, you're gonna need to get a new leg. I believe there's a prototype for a new one I'm making down in my lab. Banner, come on," Tony said, and they left. "How are you feeling?" I asked Clint. "Like myself," He said. "Well, that'd be concerning if you felt like someone else. Especially Loki. That'd be incredibly concerning," I remarked.

Dr. Cho had gone to investigate some more of the equipment in the lab, leaving Nat, Clint, and I alone. I leaned against the wall, my crutches beside me. "Ms. Scotch, Mr. Stark is requesting your presence in his laboratory," JARVIS said. "Okay, JARVIS," I said, grabbing my crutches. I went down to the lab to find Tony tinkering with a leg.

I cleared my throat, getting his attention. "Oh, Ellie. Come over here, I have something for you to try," He said, waving me over. I went over, and he picked up the leg. "Put this on," He said, handing it to me. I rolled up the tattered remains of the leg of my suit and put the leg onto my stump.

I set it down tentatively, testing the weight. I put the crutches against the table, shifting the weight to my leg and the prosthetic. "So?" He asked. "It works," I said. "It's got carbon fiber composite plating, making it bulletproof. It's incredibly durable and stays on unless you press this button, which releases the stuff keeping it secure," He said, pointing to a button near the top.

"Thanks, Stark," I said. "Well, two legs are better than one," He said. I snorted, rolling my eyes. "No duh,"