Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: Sorry this is coming so much later in the day than usual, I literally didn't realize it was Thursday and not Wednesday until about an hour ago 😂😂😂 enjoy!!

****************

The twins were in the Hospital Wing until just after lunch, which was honestly a blessing. Spending my time with them, laughing at their beards and waiting for Madam Pomfrey to fix them, gave me something to do. After they got released, I had almost nothing to keep my mind off the Goblet of Fire and the decision it would make about champions tonight.

I debated sending another Howler to my family, if only to give me a chance to scream about all the excitement I was feeling, but I decided to wait until I knew for sure whether or not I was going to be a champion. I did a bit of a strength workout, and afterwards Jackson offered to spar with me to take my mind off things. I decided to turn him down. I was so distracted right now he'd probably beat me, and I didn't want to risk my undefeated record.

I finished my workout with a few hours still to go before dinner, and I decided to try and get some homework done in the library. I accomplished almost nothing, but at least having books and papers and my laptop in front of me helped, until finally it was time to go to the Great Hall for the Halloween feast.

I met Angelina and Alicia in the entrance hall, and the three of us walked to our table together. I shot Cedric a nervous but excited look as I sat, and he returned a reassuring smile. The twins and Lee joined us not long after, Fred and George finally free of their beards. I could see the Goblet of Fire sitting in front of Dumbledore's seat at the head table, and although I knew he wouldn't, I kept hoping Dumbledore would announce the champions before dinner. The food appeared though, and I knew I'd just have to wait it out.

"Alexa." My head snapped up from the spot on the table I'd been staring holes into to meet Fred's eyes. "You're tapping your leg up and down so fast you're going to send all the dishes flying off. Relax."

"Sorry," I said, taking a deep breath and forcing my leg to stop moving. "I'm just so excited! I want to know already, the suspense is killing me!"

"I bet we can distract you!" George said cheerily. "Why don't you tell us about putting your name in the Goblet with Cedric last night, alooooone."

I rolled my eyes, but I could feel my cheeks heating up and betraying me. All my friends looked surprised to have actually gotten a reaction out of me, and they all leaned forward in their seats excitedly.

"Alexa? What did happen?" asked Angelina. The look in her eyes made me think I was never going to get away with ducking this question, although I sure was gonna try.

"Nothing big. We put our names in, didn't get beards. You know, all that good stuff." It was clear that none of my friends believed me, so I continued. "Alright, maybe something happened, but I'll tell you guys about it later, okay? Not in the middle of the Great Hall."

Fred gasped and shot up straight in his seat.

"Do you mean you ki—?" He started his question at the top of his lungs, then cut off quickly when I kicked him in the shins.

"What the hell did I just say about not in the middle of the Hall?" I asked, looking at him incredulously.

"Fine, sorry. But we need to talk somewhere else soon."

I nodded, but in my head I groaned at the thought. I was going to get teased a lot during that conversation.

My friends managed to keep me distracted for the rest of dinner, although I preferred the anticipation to some of the distractions they came up with. Finally, finally, the golden plates were cleared and dinner ended. The Hall exploded with noise, then went dead silent just as quickly as Dumbledore got to his feet.