Chapter Fifty-Four

Since I'd been in the UK for most of break, my sleep schedule wasn't too messed up, which meant I wasn't any more tired than usual in my Monday morning classes. We all fell right back into the easy rhythm of school and apparition tests, enjoying each other's company whenever we got the chance. The weather was starting to warm up again, which meant we could finally hang out by the lake like we liked to. April faded into May, and with it went most of my relaxation. The beginning of May meant AP test season, and we had our Apparition test coming up quickly too.

As much as it was stressful, it was also exciting. If I could get over these next few hurdles, I'd be in the clear to focus on my friends, Cedric, and the Tournament for the rest of the year.

As soon as the AP test schedule came out, I had to start planning with my teachers. Some of the tests were taking place in the middle of the day in London this year, which meant I'd have to miss a Hogwarts class period here and there. It wasn't that big of a deal until AP Lit next week, my last test of the year. I had to miss Potions.

I wasn't dumb enough to even try going to Snape first, so I went straight to McGonagall and trusted her to work things out. She did, and that meant all I had left to do was actually take the tests.

Ugh. Why was junior year so much work?

On Tuesday, May 4th, I had my first two AP tests. Two tests back to back damn near killed me, and I had another five to go before I was really free. I was basically a walking zombie for our two weeks of AP testing, but somehow, I managed to survive. In theory, my plan was to have a massive celebration with all my friends and Cedric that Thursday night after my last test. In practice, I was so exhausted when I finally got back to Hogwarts that I just collapsed on one of the couches by the fire, fading in and out of sleep as my friends laughed and talked around me, until Angelina and Alicia finally helped me up to bed.

The celebration would have to wait until tomorrow. With all of my muggle classes done in every way that mattered, I'd have plenty of time to relax with my friends this weekend.

****************

"Psst! Alexa!" I shot awake as Cedric nudged me with his elbow. I'd been dozing off in the greenhouses the morning after my last AP test; I was still exhausted, and I didn't want to do anything but lay in bed and not think about school work. "Sorry. Professor Sprout's on her way over."

"Thanks for the heads up," I whispered back. I just had to hang in there for a little longer. Then I could take a nap and celebrate freedom with my friends tonight.

"Miss Stark, Mister Diggory," said Sprout, smiling as she came to a stop in front of us. "The two of you have somewhere to be tonight. You're both to report down to the Quidditch pitch at nine o'clock. Mr. Bagman will be there to give you both information about the third task."

Cedric grinned, and I let him be excited for the both of us.

"Thanks, Professor. We'll be there."

She smiled and headed back off through the class, and I plopped my head down on the greenhouse table.

"Ugh. You've got to be kidding me," I groaned. "What's a girl gotta do to get a break around here?"

"Sorry love," Cedric said, rubbing circles on my back to try and comfort me. "At least the year's almost over. And at least we don't have any tests left, except the Apparition exam."

I took a deep breath, then stood up straight again.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks Ced." I leaned into his side as he wrapped an arm around me, and I instantly felt better. I'd eat a good dinner, take a nap somewhere in there, and then I'd be ready to go deal with the next thing on my list. Besides, I was trading AP tests for an epic wizarding Tournament. I couldn't really complain about that switch.