Chapter Forty-Six

"I'll be right back!" I called to Cedric, before turning to make my way through the crowd. Bagman had successfully shrugged off the twins again, and they were looking disheartened, so I motioned for them to go back to our friends. Hopefully they could see the look in my eyes that said I had a good plan.

I kept walking until I got close to the stage, where the Weird Sisters were just finishing up another song. The lead singer announced that they were taking a short break, then came over to me.

"What's up, kid?"

"Hey! You guys are awesome, seriously. I love all the music you've been playing."

"Thanks." She gave me a short nod, clearly wondering exactly what I was doing.

"So, uh, do you ever listen to muggle music?"

"C'mon, just spit it out. You got a request? We can play anything."

"Well, if you don't mind, I have a few..."

I spoke to the lead singer for a few more minutes, and thankfully she was more than happy to help with my idea. With a little magic, she said she and her band could pull off any number of requests, even if they didn't already know them.

While the band got set back up, I hurried through the crowd to find my friends.

"Guys, come on, we're doing something fun!" I yelled, motioning for them to stand in a line with me. We roped in enough people to form two lines in the middle of the dance floor, and I dragged every muggle born in sight into my plan.

We'd just finished setting up when the lead singer started humming the opening notes of the Cupid Shuffle.

"Okay guys, do what I do and follow the other muggleborns!" I yelled.

I started moving, on cue, going to the left first and saying all the steps out loud so people could follow along.

"Right, right, right, right, left, left, left, left..."

All the other muggleborns who knew the song caught on pretty quickly, and helped teach all the people around them the movements. It wasn't too complicated of a dance, so it wasn't long before we had the entire dance floor doing the steps perfectly in sync. Even better, people started adding their own flare once they were comfortable with the basics. I caught Marc doing the "kick" part so high his foot was over his head!

A few kids still decided to sit out, like Harry, Ron, Percy, Draco and his Slytherin friends, and some of the crankier teachers. For the most though, everyone was on the floor by the end of the first song. Even Professor Dumbledore dragged Professor McGonagall out!

Everyone cheered as the Weird Sisters wrapped up the first muggle song, but I motioned for everybody to stay on the floor as they started playing again. I'd introduced them to one classic muggle dance song, now it was time for another.

Cha Cha Slide anyone?

All the muggleborns danced with as much energy as we could muster, and before long the entire dance hall was laughing and dancing right along with us. Everybody was a little confused when the song said "Charlie Brown" and pretty much nobody did the same thing, and the first time I looked at Cedric during the "hands on your knees" part he doubled over laughing, but everyone had a good time, and that was the point.

We switched songs again to YMCA, and Hermione looked much happier now, singing along and trying to teach Viktor the few dance moves. The twins had forgotten about their issues with Bagman, even though he was still out here dancing, and they were having the times of their lives whirling around the Great Hall with Angelina, Myrah, Lee, Alicia, Jackson, and Adrian. A few people were still sulking in the corner, but I had a plan to fix that too. It was time for the last muggle song of the night: Cotton Eyed Joe.