Chapter Fifty-Two

A/N: So Alexa has to deal with taking the SAT in this chapter, and I did my best to remember what it was like and research the rest, but it's been a couple years since I took the thing so if there's any inaccuracies just let me know and I'll try to go back and fix them later

****************

For the rest of the week, I didn't do anything but sleep, eat, and study. I would've been complete toast without my amazing friends to help me. I was so focused on my muggle work that without their help, I would've really fallen behind on the wizard stuff.

Even worse, I had an Apparition lesson on the same morning as the SAT. Without the time difference between New York and London, I would've had to skip or sneak out of the Apparition lesson to make the test. As it was, I'd be going straight from Apparition (8-12) to a short lunch (12-12:30) before using a sling portal to get to my old high school in New York to take the test.

"Miss Stark, would you care to try your hand at Apparition now?"

I froze like a deer in headlights when Twycross turned his gaze on me. I'd barely been paying attention to him, and Apparition required focus. I would definitely splinch myself if I tried to Apparate right now.

"Uh... I just, uh, I don't know if I'm ready yet. Sir." He just stared me down for a minute, but when the (probably panicked) expression didn't leave my face, he sighed and turned to a different student. "Alright then. Mister Pucey?"

Jackson and Adrian high-fived as Adrian stepped closer. I wanted to support Adrian, but my thoughts kept getting hijacked by the SAT. I would be taking the SAT—a test that had been hyped up for years—and it would play a part in determining where I got to go to college. And yes, I could retake it, but just this one attempt was already killing me schedule-wise. I really didn't want to deal with trying to fit it in again.

"Are you doing alright love?" Cedric whispered, leaning in close so Twycross wouldn't notice us. He put on arm around me and started rubbing small circles on my back, looking incredibly concerned.

"I just want to get this test over with already," I said, shaking my head and leaning into my boyfriend. "The waiting is the thing that's really killing me."

"I'm sure you're going to do amazing," he said. "Just focus on the test, we'll all cover for you with Twycross. I'm sure it won't hurt to miss just the end of today."

"Thank you, Ced," I sighed. I closed my eyes for just a second, resting my head on his chest and trying to get my bearings. I could do this. I just had to take a few deep breaths, and it would all be over soon.

Twycross circled back to me a few times before the end of the lesson, but my friends always managed to distract him. Jackson especially was helpful, jumping in to drag Twycross over to help him and Adrian with their Apparition practice. Finally, the lesson ended, and it was time for lunch. All I had to do was make it through half an hour, and then another four hours for this stupid test, and then I'd be free.

The twins sat on either side of me at lunch, supporting me through the last few vocabulary flashcards and making sure I actually ate well before my test. They all waved me off as I headed out of the hall just before 12:30, and Cedric stood up from his table to walk me out.

"Good luck," he said, leaning in to give me a kiss. "You're going to do absolutely amazing."

"Thanks, Ced. See you in like, five freaking hours."

I made a sling portal to an alley near my old high school, and the last sight before I closed it was Cedric's smiling face. It was insanely weird to be back at my old school in New York after a year and a half at Hogwarts. It felt surreal to be on these streets again, walking up to a classroom I hadn't been in for a few years to sit down like normal with my old classmates.