Chapter Thirty-Two

A/N: Lol, I wasn't gonna mention this in an Author's Note, but I'm literally so proud of all of you for all the comments like "I said calmly" and "I hope it's a calm conversation" and all that 😂😂 it's good to know that nobody else is getting over that either 😂😂😂

****************

"Oh, very funny joke, Mr. Bagman," said Fleur, tossing her hair and giving the former Quidditch player a winning smile. She clearly knew nothing about Harry's history with danger and insane coincidences.

"Joke?" Bagman looked shocked that someone would think he was kidding. "No, no, not at all! Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

I sighed. Of course it had. I looked at Harry, and he did not look happy about this turn of events. I tried to reassure him with just a look as Fleur spoke up again.

"But evidently there has been a mistake. He cannot compete. He is too young."

"Well... it is amazing." He looked thoughtful for a second, until his next words convinced me of the complete opposite. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as his name's come out of the Goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... It's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry will just have to do the best he—"

I was getting ready to shout some protests, but someone else beat me to it. The door to the room came flying open again, and Dumbledore entered, Crouch, Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, McGonagall, and Snape all right on his heels.

Fleur went over to whine to her headmistress, who immediately turned to Dumbledore.

"What is the meaning of this?" she demanded.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," Karkaroff agreed. "Three Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed three champions—or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

I rolled my eyes at his sarcastic bullshit. Hopefully Dumbledore could put an end to all this quickly.

"C'est impossible. Hogwarts cannot have three champions. It is most injust."

I couldn't believe they all thought a fourteen-year-old was actually going to be allowed to compete in this insane tournament. The whole point of the age restriction was to make things safer. Making Harry compete would defeat the whole purpose!

They kept arguing, and Snape jumped in to blame Harry for something that was definitely not his fault. That's what got Dumbledore to finally weigh in, cutting Snape off mid-rant.

"Thank you, Severus."

Snape went quiet, although he kept glaring daggers at Harry. Dumbledore turned to look at Harry, his face perfectly neutral.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" said Dumbledore calmly.

"No," Harry answered.

"Did you ask an older student to put it in the Goblet of Fire for you?" Dumbledore continued, still the picture of calm composure.

"No."

"Ah, but of course he is lying!" Madame Maxime yelled.

"He could not have crossed the age line," Professor McGonagall snapped. "I am sure we are all agreed on that—"

"Dumbly-dorr must have made a mistake with the line," Madame Maxime said, interrupting Professor McGonagall. Never a smart move. Dumbledore admitted a mistake was possible, which only made Professor McGonagall pipe up more angrily than before.