CHAPTER FIVE

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Full Metal Zombie

"Even if we can't be together in the end, I'm glad that you were apart of my life."

==================================

"Amish Zombies. Really?" Addy says in disbelief and looks at Cheshire who just shrugs. "Really?"

"They tried to quarantine themselves from the rest of society. Keep the Z's from spreading the infection." Mack grumbles from underneath the hood of the truck. "That was before we knew Romero had it right. We're all carrying the virus. Didn't matter who you were or how you died."

Warren comes back from her bathroom break with a heavy sigh, her mind wandering back to the time when there were working toilets.

"My turn." Murphy mumbles pushing himself off the truck and waiting for Addy to give him his share of toilet paper.

"Hey, hurry up. I want to get past DC before dark." Garnett blows a cherry when Murphy just waves him off grumbling something about being a jackass.

"I'm tellin' ya, there ain't nothin' there. No thoughts. No memories. No soul. Nothin'" Doc sighs.

"Well they're not dead." Cas adds. "They want something."

"Yeah. Brains."

"You can't want something if you're not conscious, if you don't have a soul." Cas takes a drink out of the water jug.

"When my pa was wounded, he told me to tie him up before he turned." All heads turn to 10K. Usually the boy doesn't talk about about himself, or much of anything, so his sudden confession took them by surprise. "Made me promise to show him mercy when he died. Kill the brain, you know? I couldn't do it. I couldn't hurt my pa, no matter what he'd become. I stared into his eyes for the longest time, just looking for some sign he was still in there. But I didn't. So I killed it."

"Damn, kid. You had to put down your own dad?" Doc says sadly.

10K snaps his head up at the older man offended that he's call that monster his father. "Didn't kill him. Killed it. Piked it." He points his knife at his head. "Right here. My first kill." He shakes his head, biting his lip to hold back his tears. "I always wish he knew, you know, somehow knew that I kept my promise."

She looks up a 10k. "He does know, 10K." Moving so she's sitting next to him she rubs his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. "Your dad knows what you did for him. And he knows you did the right thing. You kept your promise. Okay?" He nods and she gives him a soft smile, patting his shoulder.

After what feels like forever Murphy finally comes back from his bathroom break and the group is finally back on the road. 

==================================