CHAPTER EIGHT

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

"Perhaps it is the greatest grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone."

==================================

It's been a day, maybe more, since they lost Garnett. Cheshire wasn't sure anymore, there were too many thoughts running through her head, too many voices talking at once. She couldn't concentrate on the present. 

Only the voices.

Neh neh, Naya, why won't you play with me? It's so boring in here without you.

Naya~ Come and play with us~ 

We miss you~

NAYA!

Cheshire groans throwing her hands over her ears, lightly smacking the side of her head in hopes to shut them up. It works, for a moment, and then they start back up again. She can't hit her head any harder or she'll hurt herself, but if she doesn't then they'll keep getting louder and louder and-

POP!

The truck slows to a stop and she sighs, leaning her head back and hoping that the sun will just cook her into a giant chicken kabab so she doesn't have to feel so empty. And at least she'll smell like chicken. Mmmm, chicken. 

'Fuck, now I'm hungry.'

10k hops out of the truck and crawls underneath it, seeing if it's something that he can fix with some duck tape and a screwdriver and not something that'll force them to get out and walk till they find a vehicle. Either one they steal or one they... yeah, now that he thinks about it stealing's really the only thing that they can do.

It's not like someone is gonna say, 'Oh, complete strangers want my car for a mission to save the human race? Sure! Why not? It's definitely not like it's the apocalypse and people can lie to get whatever the hell they want.'

They don't borrow and return it later, half the people they could borrow from don't live to see past the sunset. And people aren't nice enough to just give random strangers with a 'mission' a running vehicle without something in return.

And what does the group even have to offer? Exactly, nothing. Well, at least nothing anyone's comfortable with giving up. 

Cheshire shivers as she remembers one of the men she came across in New York. Said he'd trade her a can of beans for a night of what he called 'fun'. 

The loud puttering of the dirt bike Mack and Addy stole stops next to the truck revealing the Wonder Twins themselves. She doesn't know why Murphy insists on calling them that, it's not even that good of a name.

Love Birds would be a better word to use. If you can even say they're in love. Cheshire's seen how they act with each other a few times and that doesn't look like love, but what would she know. She's never had a boyfriend, nor a boy who's ever showed interest in her.