3:2 The Tides of Space

"Well that went swimmingly," Mahina said eagerly. Scotty looked at her with concern. After the huge space battle between the Enterprise and a small group of pirates, the ship and it's warp core were badly damaged. The final jump back to their solar system depleted the warp core's energy. Now Mahina and her Superior stared at the dead machinery.

"Swimmingly? Lassie, we could have died from that battle or exploded the core by getting out of warp!" He said in a slightly panicked Scottish accent.

"But we didn't," the dark skinned woman said enthusiastically.

"Attention Enterprise crew, this is your captain speaking," Kirk said over the intercom. Everyone stopped what they were doing to listen. "Due to the excessive amount of damage we received, both inside and out, Star Fleet had given us two months of shore leave to rest and spend some time with our families," he said. Scotty didn't have much of a reaction but saw his new friend start to have tears in her eyes and a smile of disbelief. "We will be docking in a few minutes so pack your bags and clean your rooms. And as your captain I am giving you an order to enjoy your time off. Kirk out." The announcement ended and almost everyone stated to spring to their rooms in excited chatter. Mahina and Scotty included.

"So where do you live?" He asked.

"I live on the island of Lanai in the Hawaiian islands. I was born and raised there. And I'll guess you live somewhere in the UK?" She replied.

"Sort of. I do spend a lot time there but I mostly travel," Scotty answered. He hadn't visited Hawaii on a long time but has never visited Lanai.

"Mahi Mahi!" A voice called from down the hall. The to looked up to see Sulu grinning. Mahina giggled and trotted up to him.

"Don't call me that you lōlō*," she says while giving him a side hug.

"Hey Jim is going to be joining our party. That okay?" Sulu asked. To which Mahina nodded her head.

"It'll be fine! We have plenty of room," she smiled, before turning to Scotty. "Sulu and I hung out a bunch in our academy days and visited a lot. You want to stay with me for a while, Scotty? It wouldn't be too much trouble," Mahina suggested. The Scotsman scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh I don't know..." He hesitated. It's not that he didn't want to, but he was just worried about so many things and didn't want to trouble his friends with it.

"Well take some time to think about it okay? I'll see you later!" Mahina said to Scotty before racing of with Sulu to their rooms.
__________________________________________________________

"I really need this time to rejuvenate," Uhura said, stretching next to her friend. Nyota had asked Mahina if she could stay with hey for a while until Spock had finished his business with New Vulcan and it's council members.

"Preach it sister. As long as you're on my island I'm going to make you have the best time. Like a sleepover!" The red head promised.

"Are we ready to go? We got everything loaded up," Kirk said to the girls after he and Sulu put all their luggage in the vehicle. After the shuttle flight back down to earth, the group meet up and prepared to take a shorter fight to Maui, then to Lanai.

"Don't leave me behind now!" A voice called from across the way. They all turned and saw Scotty coming with a duffle bag.

"Yes you made it! Alright, now we can get going," Mahina cheered. Kirk took his bag and placed it with the others before joining everyone in the shuttle.
__________________________________________________________

"Uh huh...yeah. Yes mama. Okay aloha iā 'oe**. Bye," Scotty heard from the back of shuttle. When Mahina car back to her seat and put her communicator away, her asked.

"You tell your mother we were coming?" Mahina nodded, her curly hair bouncing with her.

"Yup, we're excited to have you all! My dad wanted the Luau to be planned for an all nighter but Mom was able to talk him out of it," she said. Before Scotty could question, Uhura spoke up.

"Hey Mahina, could you play some music? I want to get hyped!" She requested, bored from Kirk and Sulu arguing over which TV shows were better.

"I have just the playlist!" She said, whiping out her padd and hooking up the audio to the shuttle. Scotty was impressed by her efficiency to find a particular option in seemingly endless playlists. This was labled 'Classical Energy' with lightning and happy face emojis. Upon hitting the shuttle play button, everyone came alive with the first song.

Mahina's stormy eyes brightened, as she recognized the intro.

"Is this classical? I never thought you'd listen to this stuff," Kirk wondered out loud, sounding a little bored.

"Mahina will only listen to classical. She has an old Hawaiian soul," Sulu said with a bright smile. "Take it away girl!" Mahina stated rapping to the song, never missing a word or beat. Kirk lifted his head in amazement and Uhura cheered for her friend. Scotty was impressed nonetheless as she accurately got each word and hit all the notes, but more at her energy. A few songs later she was still going at it, but toned down a little for the others' sake.
__________________________________________________________

"I've been singing since I could speak. I find so much joy in expressing music," she said quietly, the others sleeping soundly. The music had been turned down as the two say next to each other

"Well you're quite good. Why did you join Star Fleet and not pursue a musical career? I'm sure you would have been successful," the Scotsman questioned. She lowered her head just enough for her curly red hair to hide her face.

"Another story for a different time... So tell me about you! Share the origin story of the trans-warp equation!" Her attitude changed on a dime, surprising the man a little. Scotty noticed that it was a little fake but didn't push her. So for her sake and entertainment, he shared his history.

*Crazy
**Love you