1:4 Enterprise and the Maiko

"All you have to do is talk to her, just start a simple conversation! How hard can it be?" Scotty said to Chekov as the went down to the cafeteria for lunch.

"I just-ugh. I go to open my mouth but no sound come out! It's like she's stolen my voice..." The young man said, trying to explain the effect Ichiko had on him. He had seen her all over the ship, making friends and conversation but ever since they met face to face, he hasn't found the courage to speak to her. "I don't want to be hurting her feelings or- are you listening to me?" The Russian noticed Scotty was making a slightly disgusted face.

"Oh, well I'm sorry that I'm allergic to sappy romances," the Scotsman sassed as they walked in. They got their food and looked around for where Sulu and Ichiko were sitting. They found his obvious yellow shirt and shirt black hair but didn't recognize the girl sitting across from him as the maiko. Her jet black hair wasn't up in it's intricate style and instead fell down to her shoulder blades and was held with a headband. She wasn't wearing her colorful robes and instead had a simple white robe and loose pants. "Heya lassie," he greeted anyway, sitting next to Sulu so Chekov could sit next to her.

"Oh! Scotty-san, Chekov-chan. こんにちは*," she bowed her head in getting, more out of respect than protocol. "Hikaru-chan was telling me about Khan. You were all so brave to fight him," Ichiko told excitedly, her smile was bright and added even more beauty to her makeup-free face. Chekov blushed a little while Scotty made a boastful laugh.

"It was quite the incident. If I hadn't resigned, I wouldn't have been and to get in that monstrosity of a starship and save the Enterprise," he triumphantly crossed his arms. Sulu jabbed his arm and Ichiko giggled. "Chekov here had to take over my position as Chief of Engineering while I was gone," Scotty mentioned. Ichiko gasped, loving the story even more.

"Really? Was it hard to adjust to the new position?" She asked him up front, completely forgetting about her little crush on him. The Russian glanced at the other two, who gave him thumbs up, before going to answer.

"A-a little. I mean Scotty's job is hard but I was able to pull through in the end," he said, feeling proud of himself that he could answer her. Sulu and Scott shuttles knowingly at each other, until his voice kept going. "Why is your hair down today? I've never seen you in a casual look before." They were surprised that he could keep talking while the maiko was thoroughly enjoying it.

"Ah! Every other week, we let our hair down to rest. If I were back in Gion, I would be a normal girl and be able to visit stores and other places I wouldn't be able to go to," she explained, her smile fading a little at the mention of her hometown.

"Sakura, why don't you tell them about the dinner?" Sulu encouraged to lift her spirits.

"Don't call me that! That nickname is so old," she scowled and pouted, crossing her arms in defiance.

"What does it mean?" Scotty asked.

"It means cherry blossom. But not because I was sweet, but because on my way home from school, I left my backpack open and cherry blossoms fell inside," she explained with a grumpy attitude. Scotty laughed it loud but Chekov only chuckled, not wanting to get in her bad side.

"Well, what does Sumire mean?" He asked, changing the topic. Her face softened.

"Sumire means violet. A strong, beautiful, but delicate flower," she explained proudly, recalling her making ceremony at the manor. "But what I wanted to say; I'm going to be hosting a dinner party next week. The captain, the doctor, Nyota-san, Spock-sama, and Hikaru will be there. Would you like to come?" She asked. Chekov would have said yes immediately but didn't want to seem too forward.

"There will be drinking games, yeah? I will definitely be there. What about you lad?" The Scotsman said before turning to the young man. He smiled wide before facing Ichiko who had a hopeful look in her hazel eyes.

"Absolutely! I can't wait to see what it's like." The girl cheered.

"Ohh there is so much to prepare and practice for. Now I know how Okaa-san** feels," her energy suddenly died down when she realized how much stress she would get for this.

"You guys might need to learn to use chopsticks if you want the full experience," the Asain man said quietly to them while his cousin muttered to herself in Japanese about the preparations. Chekov couldn't stop smiling; he had finally been able to talk to her directly and now was going to see her work.

As if this couldn't get any more magical...
__________________________________________________________

"I want to apologize for not talking to you. I've never been very social," Chekov said as he walked Ichiko back to her room. She looked at him but quickly turned her gaze elsewhere.

"It's okay, it took some time for me to start a simple conversation with customers. I was so worried they would laugh at me for something," she rambled a little. "It's nice to have a male companion my age... That didn't sound strange did it?"

"Oh no don't with I get it! I'm... The youngest crew member on the ship. Maybe just the youngest in general. It's hard to make friends when you know different events and trends," he smiled warmly at her, taking in her casual yet elegant look. She blushed a little and giggled.

"Thank you for walking me to my room," she said to him when they reached her door. She bowed traditionally while he copied awkwardly.

"It's no problem! I can't wait for the dinner party. See you later! Bye!" he said before rushing back to his post on the bridge. She smiled to herself and watched him go.

"さようなら***," whispered before disappearing behind her door.

*Hello
**Okaa-san -the mother or proprietress of the maiko manor. She pays for lessons and materials for the girls as well as food and lodging during their training.
***Goodbye