4:4 A Vessel of the Universe

When Spock said he needed her assistance a project, Lorella expected a small experimental study on the ship; not an away mission. Her brother was...estatic, to say the least that the Vulcan Commander he got along with so well had requested her for a survey on an upcoming planet. If she had told her brother that the Commander now knew her secret, Bones might even have thrown a party. Sarcasm works wonders doesn't it?
Now Lorella was in the surface of a newly found planet, scanning and documenting the chemical composition of the flora. The other team members were making conversation as they worked with their assignments but Lorella was happy to be working by herself. They had beamed down by a mountain and had worked under the sun for a few hours, Lorella even had to tie her hair up.

"Officer McCoy," Spock said, suddenly behind her. She squeaked and turned around, trying to regain her composure for the Commander. "I apologize, I did not mean to startle you. I came to inform you that we are going to expidite moving on to the new section further up the mountain. We must finish this survey before the coming clouds are upon us," the Vulcan says, indicating to the already hiking crew mates and the ominous dark clouds slowly creeping in from the West. She nodded and walked with her Commander up the mountain side. Once again, he found himself looking at her. The white parts of her hair were somehow less noticable in her ponytail but her face was bright and clear; if he stared at her straight on her was sure he could name every detail, but he wouldn't want to make get uncomfortable.
Lorella was enjoying the silence between them. If she was ever with somebody, they would want to be talking about something; but Spock was quiet. She was still wondering why he chose her to be the biochemist for the team, but she supposed that not every question had an answer. When they had reached the next section, they split up and Lorella continued her work
__________________________________________________________

It wasn't until she nearly fell over that Lorella noticed the wind had picked up speed. And it wasn't a warm breeze she could enjoy, it was a cold wind that made her shiver and let down her hair to protect her neck. She tried to keep working until something drifted in front of her. A snowflake. And she wasn't the only one who noticed.

"Sir! Weather is starting to pick up. It would be best if we left before it gets worse," someone advised.

"Understood. Spock to Enterprise, away team to beam up," the Vulcan said to his communicator. But his calm was meet with panic.

"Spock! You guys are okay! We lost your signal for a while; for some reason our scanners are getting fried and we can't get accurate locations," the captain himself said through. The team gathered around Spock to hear the status.

"Understood. Can we be beamed up? The weather is starting to not fare well on the planet," the Vulcan says, still calm but with a but of a shiver in his voice.

"Negative. The transporter is having a drastic malfunction and if we did bream you up...you guys may not all be in one piece," Kirk said, sounding tired. "Repairs are starting as we speak but it will still take a while. It's there any shelter your team can take until the weather clears up it until we can get this fixed?" One of the team members nodded and pointed toward a cave further up the mountain. Spock silently aknowledged with a nod.

"Yes sir. Inform us when the repairs are complete," Spock said before ending the call after Kirk confirmed. "We will need to take shelter in that cave before this get worse," he commanded the group, wish was meet with affirmatives or in Lorella's case, a nod.
__________________________________________________________

After they had hiked up to the cave, although it was quiet risky with leaves starting to slip beneath their feet, they quickly set up the thermal lamp and passed out survival jackets. With the jacket she felt warmer, but it didn't last. They could see that the cave entrance was starting to be covered by snow and although it blocked the wind, the mountain walls kept the cold in. When their entrance had been completely blocked off, Lorella helped set up lights so they could still see.