3:4 The Tides of Space

"Mama! Papa! Guess who!" Mahina shouted as she entered the house with her friends. It was more of a large, traditional Hawaiian house than an actual building, but it was charming and full of character. Soon, a small but strong looking and tanned woman came out of the kitchen to see who had come. Her dark eyes widened and a grin grew on her face.

"Au e taku kotiro*! Aleka'i! Get over here!" She shouted back to the kitchen before making her way over to her daughter. Mahina grinned and hugged her tightly. "Hina, you're here! We were wondering when you would arrive on the island," her mother said, ruffling Maui's head. Another figure popped their head out of the kitchen.

"Mahina! O oe iina**. It's good to have you back," her father said with a broad and proud smile, looking down at his shorter daughter and patting her shoulders before kissing her head. "Would you introduce our guests?" He gestured to her friends who were watching the small reunion.

"Mmm hmm. Guys, this is my mother Mayura, and my father Aleka'i. Mom, dad; this is captain James T. Kirk, Nyota Uhura, Montgomery Scott, and you remember Hikaru," she pointed to each person and stood to the side as they all shook hands.

"Sulu! It's good to have you back. Your family will be joining us soon, yes?" Aleka'i said, clapping the man on the shoulder.

"It's a pleasure to be here sir; and yes, Ben and Demora should arrive next week," he said with a smile. Meanwhile, Mayura was giving the boys a look up and down.

"Ai Mahina, kihai i korerotia e koe ki ahau he ataahua nga hoa***," she said to Mahina, who was the only one who understood.

"Mama!" She exclaimed, surprised that hey mother would say such a thing. Kirk and Scotty looked at her in confusion while Uhura could see what was happening. "Ko te koti whero maku*****," she mumbled to her mother who laughed. "Sorry about that. Maui, you want to show the boys where they'll be staying?" Mahina suggested to her brother who eagerly nodded.

"Yeah! Come this way, and take off your shoes. There's sand everywhere anyway," the little boy said, motioning for the men to follow him down the hall.

"And me?" Uhura said gently.

"Oh you're bunking with me. It'll be like a sleepover!" Mahina explained just as eagerly. She lead her down the hall next to the guest room where the boys were arguing about sleeping spots after Maui had gone into his room across from Mahina's. "Despite what you see, the walls can actually block out sounds pretty good." Nyota looked around the room. It was spacious and had it's own little patio with a hammock that lead down to a tropical garden. A handwoven carpet padded her feet from the word floor and the ceilings were tall. Across from her bed was a desk and above it were shelves of trophies for hula, surfing, and other competitions. A small bathroom entrance was next to a large wardrobe in the corner of the room. Leis, flowers, and plants were scattered everywhere on the walls among pictures of Mahina as a child and at competitions.

"This is so cute!" Uhura squealed. Mahina giggled and took her friends bag and set it on the bed.

"Thanks! You can sleep on the bed, I'll take the hammock. I've gotten used to it over time," she said as she started to put her stuff away. Uhura untied her hair and looked at the trophies.

Best female surfer, Junior division. Varsity team. Miss Queen of the Waves. Best Maverick run. Miss Aloha. Best hula routine. Best chant.

"Girl, you could actually be the champion of the Polynesian islands..." She said before turning away and beginning to change her clothes. But her friend didn't answer, she was fussing with her clothes in the wardrobe. Nyota smirked. "So uh, you and Scotty have gotten close," she provoked. Mahina turned her head and glared at her.

"Don't even talk about it," she said with a pout, an obvious blush forming on her face. Uhura giggled.
__________________________________________________________

"Did you see how many tattoos they had? And I thought Mahina was inked up," Kirk said, taking off his shirt and switching to a more casual one as he and the boys settled down.

"I think Mayura has more than Aleka'i," Sulu said, thinking out loud. Scotty wasn't saying anything. He was thinking about...someone else. Kirk and Sulu shared a knowing look with each other, smirking at the thought.

"You like her don't you?" The captain said out loud, snapping the Scotsman out of his trance.

"What? Like who?" He denied, looking at them both to fake confusion.

"Mahina!" They said at the same time.

"Oh pipe down would ya! I swear the two of you are like teenage girls who dinnae know how to keep quiet," he scolded in return. Kirk chuckled.

"Dude come on. We saw how close you two have been getting. And I know she doesn't open up very easily so you must be something special. And besides she's only, what, six years younger than you? It could work!" Sulu explained. Scotty rolled his eyes and ignored them before going into the ensuite bathroom. When he chooses the door and locked it behind him, he began to panic a little.

Was he that obvious? Did anyone else suspect a thing?

"Great. Now I sound like a teenage girl," he said to himself in the mirror.

*Maori- oh my baby girl
**Samoan- there you are
***Maori-you didn't tell me you had attractive friends
****Maori- the red shirt is mine