The Break Up

It was the last Saturday before the new school year was set to start. Every Saturday morning, Marinette Dupain-Cheng would go to her boyfriend Luka Couffaine's houseboat to watch band practice. Her friends and classmates would all go to listen to the music and hang out with each other. She split the time between chatting with her best friend Alya Cesaire and watching the band.

Luka was playing the guitar. His sister, Juleka, was playing bass. Marinette's classmates Ivan and Rose were playing the drums and singing lead vocals, respectively. And over on the keyboard was...

Marinette sighed as she looked over at Adrien Agreste, her friend and classmate. Besides being attractive, and rich, and famous, Adrien was also super nice and caring. That's why she loves... I mean, used to love him so much. She spent the entire previous school year trying to work up the courage to express her feelings to him, but she was too late. He started dating someone else before she ever got the chance to tell him.

Kagami Tsurugi was his fencing partner and girlfriend. Although they didn't get along when they first met, Marinette and Kagami were now close friends. She was even sitting next to her watching the band.

Marinette had been trying to get over her crush on Adrien. He clearly wasn't interested, and she didn't want to waste anymore of her time. Although it broke her heart, she had to let him go.

She started dating Luka during the summer. He was a great boyfriend and he was in love with her. She liked him too, she did. She just didn't love him, not the way that she loved Adrien. 

Marinette watched Luka as he strummed the chords on his guitar. He looked up and made eye contact. They smiled at each other before Luka looked back down at his sheet music. Her eyes then made their way over to Adrien. She stared dreamily at him as she listened to the song.

Luka looked back up at Marinette, only to discover that she was busy watching Adrien. His face fell as he continued playing.

When the band wrapped up their final song, the audience clapped before getting up and saying their goodbyes to each other. Marinette got up to help put all the instruments away, like she normally did. She went over to Adrien to collect the keyboard from him.

"You did a job great. I mean, did you a great job... I mean, ugh, nice job Adrien," she finally got out, her face turning red as she got close to him.

"Thanks Marinette," he said. He was way too used to Marinette's stammering to even question it anymore. He handed her the keyboard and walked over to Kagami, kissing her cheek as he stopped next to her.

Marinette watched them as they left together. She frowned and turned back to finish collecting the instruments. When she was done, she went in search of Luka. She found him in his room.

"Hey," she said, going over to him. "Do you want to go see a movie tonight?"

"I don't think so Marinette," he replied, not looking up at her.

"Okay, well what about tomorrow?" she asked.

"Marinette," Luka said, turning towards her, "I think we should break up."

Her mouth fell open in shock. "What, what are you talking about? Why?" she asked.

"Look, I'm in love with you, but it's obvious that you're still in love with Adrien."

Marinette stared up at Luka. She wanted to deny what he said, but she knew that he was right. Although she had told herself that she was over him, her heart just wasn't cooperating.

"I'm sorry Luka," is the only thing she could mutter out.

"It's okay Marinette, we gave it a shot. And it just didn't work out. I think it's best if we go back to being friends."

Marinette nodded, tears coming to her eyes.

Luka placed his hand on her shoulder. "Do you want me to walk you home?"

"Oh no, you don't have to do that," she said.

He stepped forward and gave her a hug. "You'll be okay," he told her.

She nodded again and left. The tears didn't start falling until she was on her way home.