The News

Chat Noir and Marinette stayed on her balcony talking for a long time. They didn't realize how late it was until Marinette started shivering from the cold night air.

"It must be getting late," she said reaching for her back pocket where she usually kept her phone. It wasn't there. "Wait a second, where's my phone?" she muttered to herself, looking around. "I must have left it in my room." She mentally slapped herself. Hopefully she hadn't missed any akuma alerts. "Do you want to come in for a while?" she asked Chat Noir.

"I'd love to," he replied, getting up and following her inside.

Marinette went straight to her desk where her phone was laying and picked it up. Her face twisted in confusion at looking at it.

"Is something wrong?" Chat Noir asked at seeing her expression.

"It's my friend Alya. She's called me eleven times since we've been outside."

He had a feeling that he knew what the calls had been about.

"Would you mind if I called her back? I want to make sure that she's okay," Marinette said.

"No, I don't mind. Do you want me to leave?" he asked.

"No, don't leave. I'm sure it's nothing. She's always overreacting about stuff. I'll be quick," she told him. She pressed a button on her phone and put it up to her ear.

Within seconds Chat Noir could hear Alya screaming through the phone. "Marinette, where have you been girl?"

Marinette moved the phone away from her ear at hearing the loud scream. "Alya!" she replied, putting the phone back. "Are you trying to make me deaf?"

"Why haven't you been answering your phone?" Alya demanded.

"I was busy," the blunette replied, smiling over at Chat Noir. "So why were you calling anyway?"

"You are never going to guess what happened!" Alya said.

"Probably not. Just tell me," Marinette said, hoping to end the conversation quickly.

"Adrien and Kagami broke up!"

Marinette froze. She must have heard her friend wrong. "What?" she asked.

"They! Broke! Up!" Alya yelled through the phone.

"They broke up?" Marinette repeated, in shock.

"Yeah girl. Nino said that Adrien told him earlier today."

"Wh... why did they break up?"

"I don't know. I guess he didn't go into any details," Alya said.

Chat Noir had been watching Marinette as she talked on the phone. He felt a little bad about being there and overhearing their conversation. But he was also relieved that she had gotten the news already.

Marinette put her hand to her chest. "I don't believe it. This is... horrible."

Chat Noir was not expecting that reaction. She sounded... upset?

"Are you crazy?" Alya asked her. "What are you talking about?"

"This is horrible," Marinette continued. "They seemed so happy together. Kagami must be heartbroken. And Adrien must be heartbroken. What in the world happened?"

"I don't know, but are you serious right now?" the redhead demanded.

Marinette was about to respond when she looked over at Chat Noir. She had almost forgotten that he was there. "Alya, I... I have to go. We'll talk tomorrow, okay?"

"Tomorrow?" Alya asked incredulously.

"I have to go," Marinette said again before hanging up. She dropped her hand that was holding the phone to her side. "I'm sorry about that," she said quietly to Chat Noir.

"Are you okay?" he asked, moving towards her.

She shook her head slightly. "Two of my friends broke up. I... I can't believe it."

"I'm sure they're fine," he said, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"I don't think so. They were so in love with each other. I don't understand why they would break up, this makes no sense."

He could see tears welling up in her eyes. "Please don't be upset Princess," he pleaded with her.

"I'm sorry. I just remember how awful I felt when me and Luka broke up, and I wasn't even in love with him. I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now."

Chat Noir pulled her into a hug. He didn't think that she would be so distraught. He had expected her to be happy. But he should have known better. Of course Marinette would be upset, her loving heart only knew compassion. She would never delight in someone else's unhappiness.

Marinette leaned into his hug. "It's so sad. I mean, if two people who love each other can't make it work, then what chance do the rest of us have?"

He pulled back so he could look in her eyes. "Marinette, everything is going to be okay. You believe me when I tell you that, right?"

She nodded slowly and hugged him again. "Will you stay here tonight?" she whispered.

"Yes, I will."

She pulled away from the hug. "Thank you. I'll go get changed."

After a few minutes Marinette came back in her pajamas. Chat Noir was already on the chaise. She switched off the lights and made her way over to him. "Come with me," she said, reaching out her hand. He grabbed it and she guided him up the steps to her bed. "You'll be more comfortable here."

"Are you sure that you're okay with this?" he asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, I'm sure. You'll get better rest here." She climbed into her bed and Chat Noir quickly followed. They rested on their sides facing each other. "Goodnight," she said, closing her eyes.

"Goodnight Princess."

They stayed like that for a while. Not able to fall asleep, Marinette sighed and shifted to lie on her back. After another minute she turned her head to look over at Chat Noir. His eyes were closed. She turned onto her side again and scooted right up to him.

Feeling her move, he slid his arm under her neck and wrapped his other arm around her, pulling her closer. She tilted her forehead into his neck and he nuzzled his face into her hair. It smelled so good, like strawberries. He breathed in the scent as he slowly fell asleep.