The Kiss

Adrien tossed and turned for hours, trying to fall asleep. He decided that he had to break up with Kagami as soon as possible. There had to be some amount of time in between breaking up with Kagami and asking out Marinette. Otherwise everyone would think that he was some sort of player. And he knew that Marinette would be disgusted by him. He finally passed out from exhaustion a couple hours before he had to wake up.

In the morning Adrien got ready like usual and went to school. Marinette was in the courtyard talking with Alya and Nino when he arrived. His heart started pounding as he walked up to her. Her hair was down from her normal pigtails that day. She looked so beautiful.

When he reached her, she turned and gave him a big smile. "Hi Adrien," she said.

"Hey Marinette," he said breathlessly.

"Me and Alya are going to head to class now so we'll catch you guys later, okay?" she said.

"Yeah," Adrien replied, watching the two friends walk away. "Wow, she seems so happy," he sighed to Nino.

"Well of course she's happy. She just got back together with Luka!" Nino said.

Adrien's heart stopped. "She what?" he asked desperately.

"She got back together with Luka. They make a great couple, don't you think?"

Adrien shook his head. This couldn't be happening.

Nino walked off to class. Adrien slowly followed behind. When he got into the classroom he saw Marinette talking excitedly with Alya. She was still smiling ear to ear. He sat down in his seat as Ms. Bustier started teaching.

Before he knew it the bell was ringing and all the students were standing up to go to their next class. Everyone had left the room, leaving only him and Marinette. She was humming a tune as she packed up her bag. Adrien recognized the song.

He stood up and looked at her. "Marinette?" he asked quietly.

She met his gaze. "Yes Adrien?"

He tried to speak but no words came out.

She got up and moved right in front of him. "Is something wrong?"

"Did... did you really get back together with Luka?" he sputtered out.

Marinette tilted her head slightly to the side. "What are you talking about? I didn't get back with Luka."

Adrien blinked at her. "You didn't?" he asked.

"No, of course not. I'm not in love with him."

"You're not?" he asked, feeling relieved.

Marinette shook her head. "No. I'm in love with someone else," she said, moving closer to him.

Adrien held his breath. "Who... who are you in love with?"

"Isn't it obvious?" she asked, moving even closer. "I'm in love with you Adrien."

"You are?" he whispered.

Marinette nodded. She reached both hands up and put them around his neck, pulling him towards her. Her eyes fluttered closed as she pressed her lips against his. Adrien immediately closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her waist.

They kissed passionately, with Marinette moving her hands up to his hair and Adrien holding her as tightly as he could. After a minute they broke apart from the kiss, still holding each other.

Adrien opened his eyes to see Marinette close to him. Her green and black eyes were sparkling. He tried to catch his breath.

She moved one of her hands and placed it on his cheek. "Adrien," she said, smiling up at him.

Adrien leaned into her hand. "Marinette," he said. He thought his heart was going to burst from happiness.

Marinette scrunched up her face. "Adrien?" she asked, confused.

"Marinette," he said lovingly.

Her face scrunched up more. She moved her lips to speak again but it wasn't her voice that came out of her mouth.

It was Plagg's.

"Adrien, wake up!"

Adrien's eyes flew open. For a second he didn't understand what was happening. He was in his bed in his room, his arms wrapped around a pillow.

"Having a good dream?" Plagg asked, smirking at him.

Adrien didn't move. He couldn't believe that it had been a dream. It had seemed so real. The sound of her humming 'Non Je Ne Regrette Rien.' The taste of her lips. The feeling of her body pressed up against him. He would give anything to go back to that moment.

He slowly sat up and smoothed out the pillow he had been holding. "I wish this day was over already," he said before getting up.

************************************

Marinette was in the courtyard with Alya and Nino when Adrien arrived, just like in his dream. But her hair wasn't down. It was pulled back into her signature pigtails.

When he reached her, she turned and gave him a small smile. "Hi Adrien," she said.

"Mey Harinette," he said.

She tilted her head slightly to the side. "Are... you okay?"

"Yes I'm fine!" he said, a little too loud.

Marinette glanced over at Alya before looking back at Adrien. "That's good I guess."

There was silence between the four friends for a moment before the bell rang. Alya and Marinette started walking to class.

"Dude, you sure that everything is okay?" Nino asked Adrien as they trailed behind the girls.

"Yeah, I'm just tired. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night," Adrien told him, keeping his eyes on Marinette.

They all sat in their seats as Ms. Bustier began teaching. Adrien could barely focus on her lesson as memories of his dream kept coming back to him. He tried to resist the urge to turn around and look at Marinette. With great restraint, he only turned three times. She was busy taking notes, however, and didn't seem to notice.

The bell rang to signal the end of class. This was it, the moment in his dream where Marinette kissed him. Of course it wasn't going to really happen, he knew that. But he still wanted to present her the opportunity, just in case.

Marinette and Alya had already stood up and were about to leave when he turned around. "Marinette?" he asked. "Could... could I talk to you for a minute?"

Marinette looked over at him but didn't say anything.

"We're going to get to chemistry, you two catch up with us later, okay?" Alya said, winking at Marinette and leaving with Nino.

"Yes Adrien?" Marinette asked, turning towards him.

He stepped up and moved so he was right in front of her. Her cheeks blushed slightly. "I was just wondering..." he started to say but stopped. Her blue eyes were staring into his.

"Kiss her," a voice inside his head told him.

"No, don't. You're still technically dating Kagami," another voice argued back.

"She wants you to. You both want to."

"No, it's not the right time."

Adrien stood there while the argument played in his head.

Marinette finally interrupted his thoughts. "Adrien?" she asked, scrunching up her face.

He snapped back into reality. "Oh, I... I'm sorry. I, er, forgot what I was about to say."

She nodded slowly. "Okay. Well let me know if you remember." She paused for a second. "We should probably get to class."

Adrien nodded back. "Yeah we should."

Marinette moved to the door with Adrien right behind. The two walked in silence all the way to chemistry.