The Jealous Cat

Adrien saw Marinette leave school the next day with the other band members. He wished that his father would have given him permission to perform on Friday night. Then he would be going to the dress rehearsal too and he could keep a closer eye on Marinette. Not that he didn't trust her. It was Luka that he didn't trust.

He went home, had his piano lesson, and ate dinner. As soon as he was in his room he went over to his mini fridge and got a piece of Camembert for Plagg.

"I thought Marinette wasn't going to be home tonight," the kwami said.

"She won't be, I'm just going to stop by Luka's and check on her," Adrien told him.

"I don't know, kid. Don't you think that's a bit much?"

"No," he replied. "Marinette is a beautiful sweet girl. I don't want anyone taking advantage of her."

Plagg sighed. "Just promise me that you won't do anything stupid."

"I promise. Plagg, claws out!"

He transformed and left for Luka's houseboat. Landing on a building across the street, Chat Noir locked his eyes on Marinette. She was fixing the shoulder of Rose's costume. He sat on the edge of the roof and watched them.

After she was done helping Rose, Marinette made her way around to the other band members. She seemed to have the most trouble with Ivan's outfit. Eventually she reached Luka. Chat Noir narrowed his eyes as he watched their interaction. At one point Luka said something and Marinette laughed.

Okay, she was laughing way too much. Luka wasn't that funny.

Then she reached up and readjusted the mask on his face. That was a ridiculous mask. No wait, Marinette had designed it. Actually it was wonderful. It was Luka's face that was throwing everything off.

Her hands were lingering a little bit too long for his liking. That was it, he needed to get down there.

Chat Noir scaled down the side of the building and detransformed once he hit the ground.

"What are you doing?" Plagg asked. "I thought you were just going to check on her!"

"I'm not done checking," Adrien argued.

With a groan Plagg disappeared into Adrien's shirt. He ran across the street and onto the houseboat.

"Adrien! We didn't think you were coming," Rose said.

"Oh yeah, my father actually changed his mind and I can go to the concert tomorrow," Adrien said. It was a total lie, but he needed some excuse to be there.

"So awesome," Juleka said.

"Yeah man, that's great," Luka said.

Ivan nodded at him and Rose squealed in excitement.

"I'm sorry but I guess you'll have to make one more costume," Adrien said, walking over to Marinette.

"I think I can handle it," she replied, smiling at him.

"Well, I'm all yours," he said.

"Just a minute, I have to finish this one up first," she said, turning back to Luka.

Luka raised his eyebrows and glanced over at Adrien before looking back at Marinette. She continued fixing the strap of his mask.

Adrien's face fell as he watched her with Luka. He wanted those hands of hers to be moving around him. Disappointed, he walked over to the keyboard and turned it on. He was going to start playing one of the band's songs, but then he thought of something else. His fingers moved over the keys.

Marinette froze for a second at hearing the melody. She turned her head to look at Adrien and her arms lowered down to her sides. Luka watched her as she walked over to him.

"Is that 'Non Je Ne Regrette Rien?'" she asked once she reached the keyboard.

He looked up at her. "Yes it is. I love this song."

She smiled at him. "Me too."

Adrien got caught in those beautiful eyes again and hit the wrong key.

Marinette chuckled. "It seems like you need a little more practice," she teased.

"Yeah I guess so," he said quietly.

"Alright, why don't all of you keep practicing, and I'll go start on your costume, okay?"

He nodded. "Okay."

Marinette walked over to the spot where all her materials were and started digging through the pile.

The band practiced a couple of songs. At one point Marinette went up to Adrien to have him try a mask on.

"Hold this up and I'll measure for the strap," she told him.

Adrien pressed the mask to his face. Marinette wrapped the measuring tape around his head. "I got it," she said grabbing the mask and returning to her work space.

She came back a few minutes later. "Here, try it on."

He quickly put the mask on his face and looked at her.

"I think that will work." She reached her hands up to grab it, but stopped. She tilted her head slightly to the side.

"What?" he asked.

A small smile crossed her lips. "Nothing. You just remind me of someone." She slid the mask off of his head and went back to her station.

While the band ran through the rest of the songs, Marinette managed to find enough extra pieces to make a complete ensemble for Adrien. It was late by the time they were done with the rehearsal. Ivan and Rose had already gone home.

"Thanks so much for the help Marinette, we'd be lost without you," Luka said as they finished packing everything up.

"It's no problem. I'm sure you guys will do great tomorrow night. It sounds really good," she said.

"The concert starts at six and we'll be one of the first bands playing, so make sure you get there early."

"Oh actually, I won't be able to make it tomorrow," she said.

"What?" Adrien asked. "Why not?"

She turned towards him. "I'm sorry, I already have plans." She turned back to Luka. "You guys will be fine without me. The costumes are done, there's nothing more for me to do."

"It won't be the same without you there Marinette," Juleka told her.

"Are you sure you can't make it?" Luka asked.

Marinette groaned. "Fine! I'll stop by real quick but then I have to leave."

"Awesome," Juleka said, hugging her friend.

"Alright, I'll see you all tomorrow. I'm going to head out," Marinette said.

"I'll walk you home," Luka told her.

Adrien glared over at him. Why was he offering to walk her home? That was a boyfriend thing to do.

"Oh no, you don't have to do that," Marinette said, earning a smile from the blond.

"No, I want to. It's dark out, I want to make sure that you get home safe," Luka insisted.

Adriens face fell. Luka was right. It was too late for a pretty girl like her to be walking around by herself. Ugh, why had he snuck out? If his bodyguard were there he could have offered to give her a ride home.

"I've lived in Paris my whole life, I'll be fine. Plus, I'm sure Chat Noir or Ladybug would save me if anything happens," Marinette said.

Adrien couldn't help but smile again.

"Okay," Luka said. "But text me when you get home."

"I will," she promised. "See you guys tomorrow." She started walking home. Little did she know that a certain cat followed her from the rooftops, making sure she got home safely.