The Realization

Chat Noir woke up confused. The ceiling that he was looking at was not his own. It took him a couple of seconds to remember where he was. He was in Marinette's bed. And he wasn't alone. She was there too, lying on her side with her head on his shoulder and one arm drapped across his chest.

It was Monday morning, they had to get to school. Judging by the amount of sunlight he could see coming in through the windows, it must be time to wake up. Nathalie would be knocking on the door to his empty bedroom if he wasn't at breakfast soon. But at that moment he couldn't care less about getting in trouble. He was going to take every second he could get lying there with Marinette.

Barely five minutes passed before Marinette's alarm sounded. She stirred and started moving her arm, but froze once she realized that someone was next to her. She opened her eyes and then jumped back seeing that she was half on top of Chat Noir.

"I... I'm sorry," she sputtered out, trying to catch her breath. "I... I didn't mean to... I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay Marinette," he said, sitting up and reaching out. He placed his hand on hers. "I'm sorry that I fell asleep again."

"No, that's fine. I don't mind." She finally turned around and shut off the alarm. "I, uh, need to get ready for school now."

Chat Noir nodded. "I'll go." He stood up on the bed and opened the hatch. "Have a good day at school."

"I will," she said.

He climbed out and left.

Marinette exhaled. Tikki flew over to her, her tiny arms crossed.

"What?" Marinette asked the kwami. "We fell asleep."

Tikki didn't respond as Marinette climbed down the steps and got ready for school.

************************************

By some miracle, Adrien got back to his house before anyone had noticed that he was gone all night. He quickly changed his clothes and ran to breakfast. All he thought about was Marinette resting against him and how he would give anything to have that again.

For whatever reason she looked extra beautiful that day. Her eyes were sparkling. Adrien took every opportunity that he got to turn around and glance at her during class. He was super bummed when he got an akuma alert on his phone right before noon. Now he'd miss out on eating lunch with her.

Using an empty classroom to transform, he took off towards the scene and met up with Ladybug there. Boy, was she in a good mood that day. She was even laughing at his puns. Luckily, it didn't take long for them to capture the akuma, so he got back to school in time for his next class.

Adrien spent the rest of the day trying to stay as close to Marinette as possible. And when he wasn't with her, he found himself thinking about her.

After school he had his piano lesson and ate dinner. Nathalie droned on about his upcoming schedule, but he didn't pay attention. His mind was occupied with thoughts of the beautiful blunette.

At dusk, Chat Noir went to Marinette's house and landed on the roof. When she opened the hatch, he was surprised to see that her hair was up in a bun.

"Hey Chat Noir, I'm so sorry but I can't hang out tonight. My parents need me to help them with a catering event," she said.

The smile disappeared from his face. "Oh, I uh... okay."

"I'm sorry," Marinette repeated. "But I made these for you. You can bring them home." She handed him a carry-out bag.

"Thanks," he said.

"So I'll see you tomorrow?" she asked.

He nodded. "Definitely."

"Okay, I have to go. Have a great night," she said, closing the hatch.

Chat Noir stood on the balcony for a few minutes. He felt like he couldn't breathe. He stayed there until he saw Marinette and her parents heading out for the event.

Once back home in his room he detransformed into Adrien. He put the carry-out bag on the table but didn't open it up. He went over and lay down on his bed.

"Let's see what we got today," Plagg said happily as he dug into the bag. "Mille feuilles!" he exclaimed before eating one of the puff pastries. "Adrien, you have to try one of these!"

"I'm not feeling too good," he replied.

"Suit yourself. More for me," Plagg said, eating another.

Adrien lay in bed thinking. Why was he feeling so strange? So what if he couldn't hang out with Marinette that evening? He saw her everyday. What was the big deal?

Yeah, he loved seeing her. And he loved talking with her. And he loved being around her. And he loved those beautiful eyes. And her sweet laugh. And her caring heart. He loved everything about her.

Adrien's eyes went wide and his mouth fell open. Suddenly he couldn't breathe again.

He. Loved. EVERYTHING. About. Her.

He. Loved. HER.

"Oh no," he said outloud.

"What's wrong, kid?" Plagg asked.

Adrien tried to catch his breath. "I... I think I'm in love with Marinette."

Plagg rolled his eyes. "Well yeah."

"What?" Adrien asked, looking over at him. "You knew?"

"Of course I knew. Why else would you be going over to her house every night? I mean, at first I thought it was so you could get all those desserts. But then I realized that your heart starts beating faster every time you get near her."

Adrien put his hands up to his forehead. "This is a big problem."

"What are you talking about?" Plagg asked. "What's the problem? You're in love with her and she's in love with you."

"The problem, Plagg, is that I'm dating Kagami," Adrien replied.

"Oh yeah, that is a problem."

Adrien closed his eyes. "I'll have to break up her. I'm such a terrible person."

"You're not a terrible person, you're just in love," Plagg said, flying over to him.

"You ate all the food, didn't you?" Adrien asked the kwami.

"Not my fault!"