The Moments

Over the next several days, Chat Noir stayed at Marinette's house every night. Waking up next to her on Thursday morning, he decided that it was time. Adrien was going to ask her out.

He was so excited on the way to school. That day would be the day. He would tell Marinette that he was in love with her, and they would be together.

Marinette looked as beautiful as ever. Adrien couldn't help but have a goofy smile on his face as he walked up to her in the courtyard. Unfortunately, Alya and Nino were also there like usual.

All day long he waited for the perfect opportunity to talk to Marinette, but she was constantly around other people. Not that he cared about other people knowing, but this was a private moment for the two of them.

Their last class was almost over and he hadn't made his move yet. He couldn't wait one more day, today had to be it.

As soon as the bell rang he spun around and looked at her. "Marinette, could I talk to you for a minute?" he asked.

The girl seemed surprised. "Of course," she replied. "I'll catch up to you later," she said to her best friend. Alya smirked and left without saying a word.

Adrien slowly packed up his things, waiting for everyone else to leave the room. Then he stood and moved up to her.

"So what's going on?" she asked, standing in front of him.

"Marinette, I..." he started to say. His heart was racing and he felt like he couldn't get enough air. "I, uh..."

She tilted her head slightly. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fi... fine. I mean, I'm great," he sputtered out. "I just..."

He reached over and grabbed her hand, moving it up between them. Then he clasped his other hand on top. Her eyes grew wide as he stepped closer. "Marinette... I..." He was getting lost in those blue eyes of hers.

Moving even closer, they were only inches away from each other. He glanced down at her cheeks. They weren't red. In fact, she wasn't blushing at all.

"Adrien, what's wrong?" She wasn't stuttering, she hadn't been in weeks.

Adrien's heart sank. The thing he feared the most had happened. He could feel tears welling up in his eyes. "I, uh... I wanted to know if I could, uh... borrow your physics notes," he finally said.

Marinette stared at him for a moment and then exhaled, her demeanor relaxing. "Oh, of course." She pulled her hand away from him and reached into her backpack. "Here you go," she said, holding the notebook out.

"Thanks," he mumbled.

"It's no problem," she replied. "I mean, what are friends for?"

He didn't respond. He felt like he had been punched in the stomach.

"Are you sure that there's nothing wrong Adrien?"

He nodded his head. "I'm sure," he croaked out.

Marinette smiled slightly. "Okay, well I'm going to leave. I have to meet up with Alya."

"Okay," he said, watching her walk out of the classroom. He slowly sank down into her seat when she was gone.

Plagg flew out of his shirt and up to his face. "What are you doing? Why didn't you ask her out?"

"Her face, Plagg. She didn't blush when we got close. Marinette's not in love with me anymore."

************************************

Adrien couldn't eat at dinner that evening. He just pushed the food around his plate as Nathalie droned on about his upcoming schedule.

He had waited too long. Marinette had already moved on from her crush. He couldn't believe that he had had a beautiful, sweet, wonderful girl in love with him, and he blew it. Now he would be nothing more than a friend to her, suffering the same fate that she had received.

Once back in his room, Plagg flew up to him. "Are you going to visit Marinette tonight?" he asked.

"I don't think so," Adrien said, lying down in his bed. "It's going to hurt too much to see her knowing that we'll never be together."

"But she's expecting you to be there."

Adrien just groaned in response.

"Do you really want to make her upset by not showing up?" Plagg asked.

Adrien looked over at him. "You know I don't want to do that."

"Well it seems like you have no other option then."

He sighed. "Fine. We'll stop by real quick and leave. Plagg, claws out," he said unenthusiastically.

************************************

Marinette was in her room cutting one last thread off the bottom of the dress.

"I can't believe it, Tikki. I'm finally done."

"It looks wonderful," the kwami said, flying around in circles.

"It came out even better than I was hoping," Marinette gushed. "Chat Noir is going to be so excited!"

Suddenly there was a thump from the ceiling.

"Speak of the devil," she said, smiling. "Go hide Tikki!"

She ran up the steps to her loft and opened the hatch. "Chat Noir, you won't believe it. I finally..." she stopped at seeing him.

He was standing at the railing looking out over the city, facing away from her.

"Chat Noir?" she asked, climbing out to the balcony and walking up next to him.

"Hey Marinette," he said quietly, not turning around.

"Are you okay?" she asked, concerned.

"I'm fine. I'm just a little tired today." He still didn't look at her.

"Oh, okay. Well I have some profiteroles for us to eat tonight," she said, hoping that would cheer him up.

"No thanks. I'm not really hungry."

Marinette blinked. Something had to be seriously wrong for him to be refusing food.

He continued talking. "If it's alright with you, I'm just going to go home and get to bed."

She nodded even though he wasn't looking at her. "Okay," she said quietly. She paused for a minute. "Will you... come by tomorrow? I have a surprise for you."

He sighed. "I'll see if I can make it," he said, taking a step away. "Have a good night."

Marinette grabbed his hand before he could leave. "Chat Noir?"

He finally turned to look at her.

She pushed up on her tiptoes and leaned towards him, pressing her lips against his cheek.

He closed his eyes, cherishing the moment. Before he was ready for it to end, he felt her lips leave his skin. When he opened his eyes Marinette was right in front of him.

"I, uh... I hope you feel better," she said as a blush crept it's way onto her face.

Chat Noir noticed the blushing immediately. It was quite possibly the greatest thing that he had ever seen. He put his hand up to her face and moved slightly closer to her. "I'm sure I will," he said, rubbing his thumb across her pink cheek.

She leaned into his hand, the pink hue darkening. "So you'll stop by tomorrow then?" she asked hopefully.

He nodded. "Yes, I promise."

The smile returned to her face. "Okay."

"Okay," he repeated, smiling.

Neither of them moved for a minute, both enjoying the moment together.

"I guess I should go," Chat Noir said quietly.

Marinette nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow." He slowly moved away and took off with his baton.