The Bout

Thanks to the akuma attack, Adrien was half an hour late to his fencing lesson.

His teacher, Mr. D'Argencourt, was not pleased. "So kind of you to show up Mr. Agreste," he commented as Adrien hurried to join the group.

"Sorry," he muttered as he took his place.

His first bout was against his ex-girlfriend. "Hi Kagami," he said hesitantly before they started.

"Hi Adrien," she said.

"How are you?" he asked.

They lowered their masks and raised their sabres into position as Mr. D'Argencourt announced "En garde!"

"I'm doing okay," she answered.

"Pret!" Mr. D'Argencourt called.

They lunged when they heard "Allez!" Adrien got the first hit.

"How are you?" she asked, getting into position again.

"I'm fine," he replied, before lunging again. He got the second hit.

They got ready again. "Have you asked Marinette out yet?" she asked before the next lunge. Kagami easily got the hit.

"Wh... why do you think it's Marinette?" he asked, going back to position.

Kagami got the hit. "Don't be ridiculous Adrien. I've seen the way you look at her."

They hit simultaneously.

"No, I haven't asked her out yet." He got the hit.

"Well don't wait too long. Marinette's a great girl." Kagami got the hit.

"Yeah, I know," he said. He got a hit.

"Luka is an idiot for breaking up with her," she said. Adrien got a hit.

She continued. "You better hope he doesn't realize that before you get your chance." She got the hit.

"Halte!" Mr. D'Argencourt called, ending the bout.

They lifted up their masks so they could see each other. "Nice job Adrien," Kagami said before moving to the next one.

************************************

Marinette was working on her dress when Chat Noir arrived. She was busy at her sewing machine, creating the skirt. He munched on oatmeal raisin cookies while he watched her from the chaise. Her hands moved so gracefully as she slid the fabric through the machine.

"What do you think?" she asked him, holding up the skirt when she was done with the seam.

"It's amazing," he gushed, causing her to smile.

She stood up and moved the skirt to the floor so she could step into it. Then she pulled it up around her jeans to her waist and held it in position. "It seems like it's a good length."

Chat Noir was entranced as she twirled, the skirt flowing around her. "Amazing," he repeated.

She smiled over at him again before stepping out of the skirt and putting it on her desk. "Alright, well that's done. Now I just need to finish the embroidery on the bodice and put it all together. I can't believe I'm almost finished with it. I thought it would take forever!"

"You're so talented," he said as she grabbed a cookie from the tray and sat down next to him.

Marinette giggled. "That's sweet of you to say." She leaned her shoulder against his and took a bite of the cookie. "Hmm, I think the chocolate chip ones are better," she murmured.

"I think they're great," Chat Noir said.

She laughed. "You think everything is great!"

"No, not everything. Just all the food from your bakery, and you of course."

She rolled her eyes. "Alright, well it's time for bed. Do you want to stay?"

"You know I do, Princess," he purred.

Marinette laughed again and went to her bathroom to change. When she was back she gestured up to her loft. "You coming?"

Chat Noir jumped up and ascended the steps two at a time.

"I guess that's a yes," she chuckled as she switched off the lights and made her way up.

He was already in his spot, so she climbed in next to him. "Goodnight," she said.

"Goodnight," he replied.

She lay there for a moment, then opened her eyes to look at him.

"Come on Princess," he said, extending his arms out towards her.

She scooted over and tucked her head under his chin as he wrapped her up. Closing her eyes, she sighed.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she said suddenly, pulling her head back a little. "I won't be home tomorrow night so don't bother coming by."

"You won't be home?" he asked, disappointed.

"No, I have to go over to Luka's."

Chat Noir's heart sank. "Wh... why are you going there?" He tried to keep his voice even.

"The band has a performance at a concert this Friday night and I have to make their costumes. We're all going there tomorrow after school to do a dress rehearsal, and it's probably going to take all evening. I won't get home until late."

Chat Noir thought back to the last band practice. Luka had mentioned the concert to him. There was no way that Adrien's father would allow him to go, so there was no point in going to the rehearsal.

"Oh, that's too bad," Chat Noir said to Marinette. She rested her head back down. All of the happiness that he had been feeling was gone now.

The words that Kagami said replayed in his mind. "Luka is an idiot for breaking up with her. You better hope that he doesn't realize that before you get your chance."

They wouldn't get back together. Luka knows that Marinette is in love with Adrien. Plus, she would never agree to date him again, not after all the pain he put her through.

Everything was going to be fine. She would go over to Luka's tomorrow, get the costumes done, and then go home. Nothing's going to happen. Absolutely nothing. And eventually Adrien will ask Marinette out and they'll finally be together. Everything will be as it should.

These thoughts raced through his mind as he lay next to Marinette. He could tell that she had fallen asleep, her breathing was soft and rhythmic. He pressed a kiss against her head. She loved Adrien, not Luka.

He had nothing to worry about.

But just in case, he would stop by Luka's tomorrow and make sure.