Living

Hey, just before you read it, to let you know: I've now started writing some Oneshots. You can find them on my works page.

[ note: After coming back to this, I've realised that all the characters are written to be very open about their mental health, even to strangers. And this might give the impression that this is the 'right' way to be. No, no, no. I did not want to suggest this in any way. At the time of writing, I was fairly new to it, and I, myself am very open about most things, so I sort of reflected me. I want to highlight that this does not invalidate your way of coping and caring for yourself and expressing how you feel. Everyone is different and these differences need to be respected. Ok, on with the reading. ]

Piper hates hospitals. She hates how they made her feel like she was in a lab, with all the needles and tests and cups to pee into. She hates its look: white walls, white doors, white ceilings. It felt so impersonal and cold. She hates the smell- sterile. As she sits in the waiting room, she feels sick. Why did she need this stupid anxiety appointment? It's not like they could 'cure' her anyway.
"I want to go home." She turns to Finn, eyes pleading. Her hand is resting in his and he can feel her fidgeting.
"You know you can't do that." He caresses her face, "Your appointment will be over soon." He drops his hand as a lady who must be around 60 gives him a glare. Her husband, he guesses, nudges her. Finn can't hear exactly what he says, but he picks up on 'young love' and 'let them be.' He smiles at the old man, and he replies to the gesture,
"Young man, how is that girl of yours?" Piper's too stressed to care. He squeezes her hand.
"She's wonderful, sir." He nods, "She's clever and funny and the kindest person I've ever met. You can see that she's beautiful, and you should see her dance." Piper becomes acutely aware of the entire waiting room. Staring. At her. Oh, Finn!
"You best hold on to her, then."
"I plan on it."
"My Adrienne," He beams at his supposed wife, "She's wonderful too. You know we met when we were just older than you, son?"
"Really?"
"Oh, yes. Do you mind if I ask, what are two healthy looking young ones like you doing here?"
Finn turns to Pipes for approval. He looks so genuine, and it makes Piper melt a little. She  nods.
"My girl," Finn starts. Last time Piper checked, he wasn't 60! "has anxiety."
"Dear!" The old guy chuckles, "Adrienne is here for anxiety too!"
Piper and Adrienne exchange 'yes he's crazy but I do love him' looks.
For some reason, Piper opens up to this couple.
"I feel like it's my fault. Like I'm an issue everyone has to deal with."
"Well, I can relate to that." Adrienne gives Piper a small smile.
"You're not." Finn's blue eyes look at her, brimming with care. "Neither of you are."
"That's right." The old guy replies. "But saying it doesn't change the way she feels."
"It makes me feel supported, though." Piper says.
"Yes," Adrienne agrees, "Thank you, lad." She looks to Finn.
"I'm here with my man," All four of them swivel to see who has spoken. A girl just older than Piper, with pink streaks in her hair. "He's a very talented musician, Bryan is. He's sweet and the funniest guy."
Bryan looks at Pink and grins at the compliment.
"I have body dysmorphia." Bryan admits, looking down a little, "It feels good to say that out loud."
"I know!" Pink exclaims, reading everyone's minds, "He's gorgeous! But he struggles, and I want to understand it more."
For a second, Piper marvels. The lack of taboo. This waiting room was crushing stereotypes. This waiting room was confident. Maybe hospitals weren't so bad.
"Piper?" A doctor in a white shirt, sleeves rolled up, and gloved hands steps out of her room. On second thoughts…