Chapter 20 Pt. 2

You got thrown into a room with Zuko catching you before you fell. You quickly turned to the guards with Zuko. "What the hell?!" You exclaimed in frustration.

"We didn't do anything wrong!" Zuko added. But the doors slammed shut and a familiar voice spoke.

"We know that's not true, Zuko." She spoke. You and Zuko looked over to see the tall ravenette.

"Mai." You and Zuko said in unison. Her expression twisted to one of disgust.

"You two disgust me..." She muttered. Her eyes narrowed at the two of you.

"How did you know the two of us would be here?" You asked.

"Because I know the two of you so well. Childhood friends, remember? Or so I thought." Mai replied coldy.

"But how-" Zuko began but got interrupted by Mai.

"The wardens my uncle you idiot." Zuko sighed out in frustration and you placed a hand on his shoulder. "The truth is. I guess I don't know you." She added as she revealed a note to you and Zuko. You knew his words were directed to the boy beside you. "All you could do was a letter? You could have at least looked me in the eye when you ripped my heart. And as for you-" her gaze shot to you. "You could have back stabbed me in person before running off with my ex. All the years that I knew you, you knew I had feelings for Zuko for so long."

"I didn't mean-" Zuko started first but got interrupted again.

"You didn't mean to?" She snapped. She held the letter to her face and began to read it out loud. "Dear Mai, I'm sorry that you have to find out this way, but I'm leaving." She read. You raised a brow at Zuko and turned to Mai, knowing full well he was going to talk with his frustrations.

"Mai, none of this is about you and none of this should be our main focus right now. I would be heart broken too had I received a letter like that from someone who I thought loved me." You began. Mai was about to speak but you interrupted her. "The bigger issue at hand is what the Fire Nation is up to. We shouldn't be focusing on a love triangle right now and instead should be focusing on the bigger issue at hand which is a world wide invasion." You finished.

"Gee thanks... That makes me feel a thousand times better knowing you don't care at all or feel bad in the slightest." She threw the letter at you and Zuko which you caught and tossed to the side.

"Zuko and I do care about you, Mai. And we always will. The both of us left to save our country to the best of our abilities." You urged.

"Save it? The two of you are betraying your country."

"That's not how I see it." Zuko finally spoke. His gaze intense. Mai frowned and crossed her arms before glancing away. You let out a sigh and rubbed your temples.

"We could sit here and argue about this forever. But the moral of this is, Zuko and I are sorry for hurting you and never intended on doing so. The two of us left to protect everyone and fix our nation because it is our calling to do so. It's what's right in the end of it all." You spoke. Before anymore words could he said, the door opened and a guard rushed over.

"Ma'am, there's a riot going on. I'm here to protect you!" He exclaimed. Mai turned to him with a signature glare.

"I don't need any protection." She snapped.

"Seriously, she doesn't." You quipped. She shot you a glare too and you just kept quiet.

"I'm sorry but I'm under direct orders from your uncle to make sure nothing happens." The guard insisted. You saw a glint in Zukos eyes and he lit a flame in front of the guard and Mai and dashed out the door with you behind him. The two of you turned and closed the door on them. You and Zuko gazed and Mai for a moment. Hurt shown clear in her eyes while you and Zuko looked back at her with apologetic eyes. Zuko grabbed your hand and dashed off with you.