Sunday

I'm lying on my back, listening to the sound of the wind, the birds chirping along. The beautiful blue sky covers the world. The sun giving me warmth. 

The picnic hasn't started yet. I took out our big colorful blanket and spread it out.  I went upstairs to get my amazing romance book. ( After Ever Happy.) When I am outside there are two bunnies, they are running, very fast. I take out two chairs and a table. Now our friends are here. (We come up with rules- no masks and no kissing. But we could come close.)

It was a lot of fun to hang out with friends who really care about us. We've known this family our whole life. My brother, Simon, and the other family's son's name is Charlie. Charlie and Simon are born three days apart.
I'm 13 years old while the boys are 11.
Charlie has a little sister, her name is Amelia, she's 8 years old.

I had a great time with them as we ran around in our small yard and laughed as if the reality of this world disappeared.

Now it's Sunday, the day after hanging out with them.

What to do? I woke up at 12. More like 12:30 or 12:50.  Now it's 1:44.

I'm watching my mom. My headphones are on and the music is upbeat which makes her movement, when she is talking to someone, look funny. 

I'm imagining the beauty in all as I listen to pop music. Life is great and then I hear a loud ring, disturbing my peace.
Get away!

Then I realize it's my mother's phone.

Oh, whatever.

I start to think of romance, What? Listening to songs about love makes me do that ...

Then my mother's fingers tap on my skin. I jerk at the sudden feeling. She gives me the phone. I give her a confused look but she doesn't see it as she turns back around.

"Hello," I say into the phone.

"Oh, good it's you!" somebody says into the phone.

"Um...who is this?"

"You can't recognize your father's voice?"

Oh. Great, I start the morning with his voice. How happy.

"Of course! I knew it was you." I stiffen a laugh.

"Well, I have to ask you something,"

"Go on...,"

"I was wondering if you could stop by my house?"

"What!" I say into the phone. More like 'yell'.

"Oh.. don't get mad, I just need some help with the choice of color on the bed."
This is so weird, we moved into the house he lives in now like a year ago, why does he need to know about the bed, when we've got a loft bed that he made...?

"We can talk about it now." 

"Not really." Oh my god, I swear!

"Sorry, but we aren't at home," I lie.

"Oh," Is all he says.

"Okay, goodbye." I begin to give the phone back to my mom.

"Could you not speak to your father like that!" My dad says. It's more of a demand than a question.

"Sorry, what did you say?" 

"Don't speak to me like that." I roll my eyes, mocking a man's face and start to hang up and I hear him say "Goodbye."

I go back to my music and thinking, but really I was listening to the music the whole time anyway.

I feel like he just made an excuse for me not to be with my mother.