Realization of 5 Days

"Ring...Ring...Ring"

"Ciao!" the other line pipes.

"Ciao, Nonna!" I smile at the camera.

"Guarde chi c'e', (look who's here)," My grandma moves the camera to show my great-grandma.

"Ciao, Nonna Bis!" I smile, "Guarda mamma, (Look, mamma)," I show my mom the screen, to see Nonno, Nonna and Nonna Bis. ( Grandpa, grandma and great grandma.)

My grandparents are in Italy, close together to fit in the camera.

"Ciao!" Mamma says, waving. I move the camera to my face, using one hand to grab the water pitcher and paper towel to the living room. We're having lunch, my mom is making lunch right now. We usually eat in the living room where the computer is and maybe we watch a movie or an episode. Then I grab my chair, setting up the table, but we don't have a table in the living room so we use our piano's stool as a table. We usually just eat in the living room so we can watch something, otherwise, we have a table in the kitchen.

My mom's home is full of colors and drawings of what Simon and I have drew. There are paintings my mom has made, some framed while others aren't. The small apartment shines with the sunlight coming from the windows. The house is full of instruments and the small piano sits beside the computer, facing the wall, so when you play the piano you face the audience- the living room.

When my mom first moved to Chicago, where we live now, the first thing she bought was this piano.

"Mina we're not eating there today,"

"Oh," I say. Mamma grabs the phone as I put the things back in the kitchen. Mamma leans the phone against the counter to talk to her parents.

I grab my chair and drop it loudly, anger rising in me as I slam the chair in its place.

"Mina," my mom says, startled. I walk out of the kitchen into the living room. I grab a pillow and start to punch it. "Mina," she says again. I look up to her and tears fill my eyes.

"Vieni qua," (Come here) 

I walk to the kitchen and into her arms.

"Non voglio andare da papa," I say, crying in her chest. My mom caresses my hair.
(I don't want to go to daddy's) 

The realization of five days without mamma came to me and I suddenly feel very sick. My family watches me cry through the phone. 

My grandpa starts to say how pretty we look.
My Great-Grandma says that I look tall.
My arms still around mamma, I look into my mom's loving eyes.

"All is well," she tells me. I smile and hug her tightly.

"These days will go by quickly, "I say, smiling.