Chapter 8

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!.."- Isaiah 43:18-19

Grace

" She looks cute doesn't she? I wonder whose looks she would take. I would love if she took my hair seeing as you're not really doing well in that aspect. " I said laughing at my own jokes but receiving silence from him.
My laugh ceases instantly when I look at his face.

" You know you could try to be a little happy even though you are not. What exactly do you want the baby to think when she looks at you? That you don't like her? " The pain I was feeling which was ten times that I went through when I was in labor, was now evident in my words. I stared hopefully at him hoping he would take me seriously and do what I want.

" That's the problem Gold! I don't like her. You knew very well you forced this baby on me. Maybe if you weren't too loose, we would be travelling around the world going new places and meeting new people instead of being cooped up in this hospital with this mistake of a child. "He spat his eyes full of fury.

Lips trembling hands shaking, eyes getting blurry, nose sniffing, I put the baby into her cot then facing him. " How can you say such horrible things? You know well that this baby was not planned but that doesn't mean you should see her as a mistake. For crying out loud she's your flesh and blood!! I sacrificed my life for you. You can't say this to me now. Don't do this please. You know I love you and nothing will change that but you have to understand that I love this baby so much to think badly about her. Why can't you just accept this baby like I have done? " I screamed not caring if the other patients in the wards near mine can hear or not.

"Pathetic as ever." He said before walking out the white door of my ward shaking his head not before giving the baby a look full of hatred.

" Where do you think you are going. Come back. Don't leave me here. Don't go!! " I screamed, the babies cry mixing with mine.

"Grace! Grace! Grace!!" I heard someone calling in a distance before I'm hit right on my left cheek.

" What, what? " I said regaining focus of my surroundings. We were still in the cafe and I was gripping my tea cup tightly.

" You zoned out for minutes. You've been staring at that woman's baby for a long time now and by the look she's giving you, she's not exactly pleased about that. What's wrong? You know you can confide in me. "

" It's nothing. Don't mind me I was just thinking about something. "I said trying to play it off with a laugh.

" Grace whatever it is, when you're ready to talk, I'm here. I can't force a 22 year old to talk. " She replied with a knowing smile catching my lie.

" I know. So has he gone?" The fear was still evident on my face, who wouldn't be afraid after seeing him.

"Yes, that's one of the things I was telling you before I noticed you had zoned out. Do you know him from somewhere? " She whispered the last part curiously. I loosened my grip on my cup before looking out the window by my side and taking a bite out of my cake.

"Can we not talk about this right now? I don't want our moods to take the wrong turn. You better enjoy my presence while it lasts. " She smiled at me knowing I was trying to change the subject.

"Yes ma. So I talked to Philip last night, and we were wondering if you would love to handle the decorations for the traditional wedding." My eyes widened at her words, and it took all my willpower not to scream like a madwoman right there and then.

"Are you serious? Wow this is unbelievable. I would totally love to. I feel good lalala.. . You've just made my day much more great. I could kiss you right now but I'm not sure someone would love for me to take that privilege away from him." I said hugging her like my life depended on it before returning to my seat.

She just blushed and looked away. I laughed out loud not caring if the people beside us reacted or not. We soon fell into a comfortable silence, watching other people converse and enjoy their day.

"Grace." I definitely didn't like the way she sounded. It was the beginning of something big. Acknowledging my nod as a carry on, she said " are you still hell-bent on not getting married. I don't want to enjoy this happy part of life alone. We're of the same age still young so I don't want you to feel rushed but think about it, if I'm this happy when I'm not yet married, how much happier do you think I would be when I am married? "

I knew this conversation would come up one day considering how long I had stalled for but the way Debby put it made me realize that her upcoming marriage truly made her glow." Debby" I whined.

She stared me deep in the eyes like she could see my soul before replying "Grace". Her eyes were silently pleading me for something she knew would be difficult.

" I'll think about it buuuut I'm not promising anything. I doubt my views would change but for you, I'll try to rethink my decision"

She squealed in delight earning us weird looks from the people beside us. I wondered why people in my country reacted to any small thing. Weirdos.

" Now that that's settled, I think we should go shopping once we're done here." She said looking at me for my approval.

" Why not Debby, you know you've gotten me wrapped up around your fingers. I do think we should talk about how you want your traditional wedding before anything else." She blushes for the umpteenth time before looking out the window staring at cars passing by.

" Yeah right. Let's get straight into business then."

" Debby Debby" I said giggling like the weird girl I was.

And so I took out my notepad and we got straight into business.

Hey loves. Sorry for the late update. Keep reading,keep voting,keep commenting and keep sharing. Much love from me to you. Stay blessed people-Silee.