27 - Research

He slid into the car beside Mia and took her hand. It was small in his. It amazed him the woman he had been looking for had been under his roof for months and he didn't know.

"You don't know how many times I walked into the garden at one of Bea's parties hoping you would be waiting for me."

"I made the wish I wanted that night. I was willing to wait."

Ted had left his son and gone home to change in the afternoon. Elaine had asked where their son was and she was content he was at his grandparents. He wasn't naïve and knew he would need to protect Mia from those who weren't happy he was with her. He wanted to believe in fairy tales, and hoped by spending time together, it would confirm she was the woman for him. Thankfully, there were some powerful people who would support them. Celia and Bea would lead the pack.

He pulled her into his arms and kissed her. He loved the way she felt in his embrace. They were friends, she loved his son, and they had a physical connection. How could it not be love?

As they approached the house every fiber of Ted wanted to carry her upstairs to his bed, but he needed to prove to her he had no intention of using her. He took her key and unlocked her door and stepped inside behind her.

He wrapped his arms around her. "I want so many things, but I need to prove to you this is real."

"It feels real." She leaned against him. He knew she was anything but naïve.

"I want you to know what she... they said isn't true. I need to make an honest woman out of you."

Mia laughed. He loved when she laughed. "What is this a hundred years ago? If you want to wait you'd better be prepared to elope... next week."

He could see desire in her eyes and it took all of his willpower not to lift her into his arms.

"Next week is a long time." He joined the teasing.

"Especially when I have special research to do."

He knew instantly she regretted what she said. She bit her lower lip. He spent too much time thinking about every word which passed his lips and she often spoke with no thought. He found her honest and refreshing. "Mia, what research?" A gorgeous blush covered her face, as she sighed. He could see the wheels turning as she was forming her answer. He kissed her to take her mind off of her dilemma. "What research?" He whispered.

She sighed and averted her gaze by looking down. Her reply was a mumble. "I suspect Ted and Edward are very different um... in bed."

He had a physical reaction of love and lust bombarding throughout his body. She knew him better than anyone and she loved all his sides.

In a cool, calculated voice he demanded. "Tell me more."

She smiled. "Edward is demanding and knows what I want. Ted is gentle and asks me and..."

"And who do you want?"

"Both! I want both!"

"Ah hell!" He groaned, as he lifted her into his arms. He knew she wouldn't be heavy. Her bed would have to do at least to start.

The sun light streamed in through her blinds. They had hardly slept, but the little sleep was restful. Mia was still peaceful beside him. Whatever he might have expected his night was a thousand times better. She was amazing, and he selfishly wanted to wake her. Instead, he lied on his side watching her sleep. Each raise and fall of her chest and flutter of her eyelids indicated she was in deep sleep. Could he get up without disturbing her? It was a win either way.

Once he stood and slipped on his boxers, he studied her again before he left her room to go to his apartment. Luckily his walk of shame was through his own back hall in his boxers carrying his tuxedo.