Infiltrating Harmony Part 15

"Sounds wild," I said, looking at Officer Wright's battered face.

    "It was," said Berlin, who had taken a seat again. I followed her example, sitting in the seat that was usually designated to Officer Anderson... Officer Anderson!

    "Where's Officer Anderson?" I asked the group.

    No one met my eyes. I already knew what happened before Wright said, "Officer Burton got to him. He's gone."

    A swallowed loudly, and then looked at the table in front of me. A look of realization dawned on Berlin's face.

    "Wait, Officer Wright?" said Berlin. Wright nodded. "You realized something in the warehouse... when we were escaping. What was it?"

    "I'll tell you, but I don't think you'll like it," started Officer Wright. "Your father was the best Bounty Officer that we had before Monty. Officer Burton sent him on the mission that got him killed... I think that Burton and Vocation 13's alliance has been going on for a lot longer than we think."

    Fury came to Berlin's eyes. It startled me. "You are supposed to be the best detectives in the world... and you couldn't figure out that that mission was a trap?"

    Berlin got up to leave, and started to climb the dome towards the exit. "Berlin, wait!" I tried, but she didn't listen. Before I knew it, she had left, leaving me with Officer Wright.   

    "It wasn't my fault -" Wright began.

    "I don't care," I interrupted. "Let's just finish this."

    Officer Wright couldn't help but smile. "Okay, I think that Destruction is planning on striking HARMONY Headquarters in two days, and they are going to be packing."

    "Alright," I said.

    "We have an operative on the streets who I have set up a meeting with. You are to meet him, receive the equipment that he has gotten for you, and then use that to defeat Destruction in two days. I will be joining you in two days to stop the attack, but I will let you get the equipment by yourself."

    "Okay. What's the name of this secret operative."

    "He's posing as a homeless man in the heart of the city. I believe at the moment, he goes by the name Beetle."

    As far as I could tell, Beetle lived a pretty luxurious life. He spent his days posing as an old homeless man, and then would go back to his giant apartment, where his beautiful wife who was HARMONY-free would be waiting for him.

    Approaching Beetle right now, you wouldn't be able to tell any of that. At this moment, the officer sat in his shopping car, leaning against a building with a newspaper on his head like a tent.

    "Hey, Beetle," I said.

    His eyes flew open, and he looked at me in bewilderment. "Name's Beetle. What can I do you for?"

    "The chipmunk eats nuts at dawn," I said. That was the code that Wright had told me to use when I had met the operative.

    "I'm sorry... what?" said Beetle, genuinely confused.

    "The chipmunk eats nuts at dawn," I said again.

    "I don't get it. Have you said the punchline yet?"

    "The chipmunk... eats nuts... at dawn!" I exclaimed. People turned to look at me.

    "One more time, sorry." Beetle cupped his ear.

    "The chipmunk -"

    "No, I'm just messing with you," said Beetle. His demeanor totally changed. "Follow me." I tried not to scream.

    Beetle hoisted himself out of his shopping cart, and started towards an alleyway that wasn't far away. He motioned for me to follow.

    When we reached the alleyway, Beetle entered it and approached a green dumpster that smelled terrible. He motioned for me to stop.

    "Now, this might take a second, so bare with me." Beetle climbed into the dumpster.

    I crossed my arms as Beetle rummaged, saying things like, "Not this one," and "Nope." Finally, Beetle found what he was looking for and hurtled out of the dumpster, holding a garbage bag filled to the brim with stuff that I couldn't identify.

    "Here you go," said Beetle, holding out the garbage bag.

    "Thanks," I said, and started to look through the contents. My eyes widened at what was inside.

    The bag had been filled with weapons of every kind. Blasters, grenades, and daggers occupied the bad, making for quite the sight.

    "Have a nice day," said Beetle, as he walked out of the alley way, his hands in his pockets, whistling happily.

I plopped the bag onto the table of the Headquarters, and watched as Wright's face lit up.

    "I presume there were no issues?" asked Wright.

    "Not unless you count Beetle not taking his job seriously," I said. "I mean, for a guy who's providing the equipment needed to save the planet, he seems kind of jolly. Not sure if he understands the weight of the situation."

    "Everyone copes in different ways."

    "Yeah, I suppose." I sat back in Officer Anderson's spot. "What are we going to do about Berlin?"

    "What do you mean," asked Wright.

    "I mean, she knows about he operation and she's pissed at you -"

    "Both of us," interrupted Wright.

    "Nope, just you... should I go talk to her and figure stuff out?"

    "Monty, I'm not stupid."

    "What do you mean?"

    Wright laughed. "Yes, go clear things up."

    I got up and started to walk towards the exit. Wright stopped me, "But Monty!"

    "Yeah?"

    "Don't make things worse," she said.