Epilogue + Author's Notes

AMELIA POV

It's been 2 days since I parted ways with Xavier.

Feels like 2 lifetimes.

I guess I never actually realised how addictive a person can be. Since we got together we did everything together from dinner dates to business parties.

It didn't help that the only immediately available place he could put me in was the safe house.

As soon as I walked in there, a wave of memories hit me like a tsunami - the first time we made love, our first big argument and the time he got shot.

I would never forget that day. That bullet was meant for me and he took it. He was in a coma because of me.

If he has died the world would've lost so much more than if it were me.

And the worst part is - he didn't place an ounce of the blame upon me.

That's Xavier King - could kill me for not knocking on his door but didn't put a drop of accusation upon me when he was fighting death.

My phone buzzes, I glance at my home screen.

5th of December.

Jasmine's wedding is next week, I decided not to tell her about the divorce. Knowing her she would spend more time worrying about me instead of her own wedding day so I planned on telling her after Christmas.

Her wedding was real, her marriage was real. And the last thing I wanted to do was ruin it with my own selfishness.

I check my notification and my eyes widen.

$20,000,000 has been transferred to your account.

This is my payment.

I almost didn't want it. It made everything feel so synthetic. It all felt more fake than it already was, like none of my love was real.

Well it wasn't real for him anyway.

His words were like throwing acid in my face.

"You gave me your love, I didn't ask for it"

"This marriage was a business deal to me, nothing else."

"It's not my fault you couldn't put business first.."

Those words were like driving a knife through my heart, but as much as I wanted to I couldn't give it back, because I loved him, truly.

I confirmed with the bank that it's my money before hanging up the phone. Before I could even put the phone back down there's a knock on the door.

I groan, any human company is the last thing I wanted right now.

I drag myself to the door and look through the peephole. 2 men, in suits. Bravely, I decided to open the door to these strangers.

"Amelia King?" One of them asks, I nod.

"Not anymore," the other mutters.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "How can I help you?" I ask irritably, I just wanted them to leave.

"Well Mr King has sent these for you," he hands me 2 envelopes.

"And this is the car key for your new Porsche," he hands me a car key with the 'Range Rover' engraving on it.

Same mistake I used to make.