19

Making it to class before the bell rang and sitting at the desk dreading the seemingly century long class you're about to be forced to endure always made Clara want to crawl into a dark corner. Especially when that class was anything math related. How she ended up in calculus when her skill set is really more applicable to that of a second grader, is a mystery she had yet to figure out.

"As you can see here, X is—what Kenneth?" Ms Norbury sighed exhausted already, even though it's only ten minutes into the class period.

"I have the answer!" Kenny announced like that of a peppy lovesick teenager.

"What? Impossible! He can't possibly have the—" Naomi growled frantically scrutinizing her worksheet with narrow eyes.

"Well I do! Yeah, let's see whose really going to be doing sign tricks in front of McDonalds now!" Kenny smirked just to see Naomi's analytical mind burst into flames.

"Can we not? I'm all for watching the psychic robot and the spazzing paper wad go head to head but...it's to early in the class for this..." Charlotte sighed setting her combat boots on the desk as she always did.

"Hey! Is this your living room? Get your feet down Miss Sarkisian!" Ms Norbury scolded before turning her attention back to the boy. "Kenneth, you said you had the solution for us?"

"Right!" Kenny stood up quickly walking to the board. "May I?" He asked holding out a hand for Ms Norbury's pointer.

"Oh why not? I've had my coffee today...what's the worst that can happen?" Ms Norbury shrugged handing it over to the confident boy.

"So as you can see, 6 is afraid of 7. You may ask yourself...Kenny, why is 6 afraid of 7? Well...6 is absolutely terrified because 7,8,9! I mean, it was all over the news!"

"....You've got to be kidding me..." Naomi was flabbergasted. "I'm....I'm actually amazed..."

"Why thank you!" Kenny bowed proudly

"No, I'm amazed...and how ridiculous that was. I—I....I'm gonna need a minute." Naomi dazed off clearly trying to wrangle her thoughts back on track.

Ms Norbury held her head in her hand. "I was wrong....coffee isn't enough." She sighed, "Alright, thank you Kenneth...for that...wonderful reminder of how being a teacher wasn't my first choice for my career."

"But I'm not finished!"

"Oh no—alright, go on then..."

"Because 7,8,9, it left the rest of the neighborhood in terror. Who was 7 gonna eat next?! 10 even started a patrol just in case 7 struck again! In fact, out of everyone 6 especially was so petrified they hired X to do the dirty work of getting rid of 7 for them! X took over the patrol from 10 and surrounded 7's house late that night. The other numbers watched on in fear hoping X could pull this off! Then, like the mad boss X is...he took one look at 7...they saw the pain and terror in its eyes. 'Oh 7, why'd you do it? Why'd you eat 9?' X cried hopelessly. 7 looked deep into X, sadness and regret filling his features. 'X, I did it..because I knew that'd be the only way I could find you again. I knew 10 would start a patrol, I knew 6 would be so terrified that they'd turn to you in their time of need. I knew you'd come to find me. What other choice did I have, X? I love you so much!' 7 sobbed. The two found the intense sorrow in each other...'7...I have an offer for you' X said. 'I'm usually supposed to take the place of numbers...I'm not allowed to be removed from the equation...despite those who have tried. But..7, I can't imagine a solution without you in it...so will you do me the honor....? Will you join me in finishing this equation?' X's eyes welled up in tears. 7 gasped, 'Are you really asking me—'. 'I am, 7. Instead of just X...let's make it 7x!"