23

Clara gripped her pant leg with anxiety, wrapping her fingers tightly pulling slightly at the slits in the jeans. The faces of her Moms showed every ounce of fear a kid can dream of. The look that they know EVERYTHING you had been trying to keep discrete. The look so you know...you're screwed.

However, mixed deep in their expressions were emotions that Clara could only attempt to interpret as fear, sorrow, and even anger.

"Whose going first?" Regina asked crossing her arms over herself to mask her weak emotions with a stone face.

Clara glanced to Raph who looked to be trying to send his mind someplace else whilst staying exactly where he is. Sighing, she figured jumping into the deep end now is as good a time as any.

"Go ahead." Clara nodded urging them on.

Cady repositioned herself on the bed, finding Regina's hand and interlocking their fingers. "Okay....first off, where is Ithlilen? Why isn't he with you?"

Clara bit her lip trying her best to come up with a cover for the absent brother. Even though lying now of all times is probably the worst idea ever, she still wasn't ready for Ithlilen's cover to be blown. Mostly because the moment his cover is blown...is the moment her cover is blown. Digging deep in her brain, Clara thought of the best lie she could come up with just a second to buffer.

"He has been spending extra time at the hockey rink with his friends. They like to hang out after practice." The lie seemed realistic enough. It had just the right amount of "Ithlilen mischief" without actually being against any rules. "If you think he's out breaking the law or anything...he's not." Clara stated copying Regina's pose of arms crossed to assert authority.

"Why couldn't you just tell us that? Why did you try to lie to us?" Regina questioned raising an eyebrow as if she's trying to push back against Clara's attempt to show her "dominance". Just a silent reminder that SHE bares the claws. NOT Clara.

"Because we knew you guys wouldn't like that he isn't home before dark on most days. But he REALLY enjoys being with his friends." The girl shrugged finding the ability to lie excessively easy all the sudden. "Now, anymore questions?"

"Yeah. Where'd you get that picture of me?" Regina asked letting her voice deep low in a menacing fashion. Though Clara tried to hide it, the sound of it brought a shiver down her spine. It's the voice you hear after you REALLY mess up as a child. Also known as....'you better run now'.

She had gotten used to hearing this tone from Cady. Regina on the other hand was the otherwise 'chiller' parent. Hearing this tone from her...it meant you royally 'forked up'.

In fact, it rattled Clara so much that her confidence flew out the window. She stopped dead in her tracks. Nothing that could potential he save her lie came to mind.

"I um...well, I..." She struggled gripping her jeans tighter. Raph glanced over at her knowing just as well as she did that the chances of saving this were slipping away faster than a soap covered kid on a slip 'n slide. This is why he too began to think of a way to drag his sister's sinking lifeboat to the shore.

Raph sucked in air already regretting what he was about to do. "I found it." He said lowly.

"What?" Clara and Regina said asked in unison. The voluntarily mute boy sighed again already feeling agitation at the fact his voice was used.

"I found it." He stated again, this time furrowing his brows sending a message to NOT ask again.

"Raphael, where in the world could you have just 'found' that? You would've had to have been looking for it." Regina challenged narrowing her eyes. The difference between Clara and Raph became quite clear in this moment. Clara gets nervous and backs down, Raph...doesn't take the crap from anyone. Even if that person is his own mother.