25

The next day of school came sooner than Clara wanted. On a normal day the crowded hallways, loud screaming children, and smell of kids who either use to much body spray, or...not enough, highly agitated Clara, and it's only made worse now that she's terrified someone's going to sneak up behind her and literally stab her.

Coming into the cafeteria, she spotted Kenny immediately. Legs propped up on the table, arms folded across chest, and shades cooly covering his eyes, he looked...ridiculous. He tries to be cool, and even has a few people fooled, but the majority of the students pay him no mind and write him off as a "try hard" or someone who really wants to win the "class clown" superlative in the yearbook.

"Ya know, some people want to actually eat on this table without having to look at the gum scraped across the bottom of your boot." Charlotte grumbled rolling her eyes.

"No one else at this table seems to have a problem with it."

"There's only me and Shepherd here! And I'm sure he too doesn't enjoy your grimy, dirt covered work boots near his pasta! Right Shep?" Charlotte asked nudging her best friend.

"Hmm? Did you say something, Charlie? I'm a little....busy at the moment." The boy, fork in hand was currently chasing a grape around his tray. "Come on, grape! Stop slipping away from me!" He whined.

"You were saying?" Kenny smirked

"Just...shut up."

Naomi gasped disgusted "Kenny Omen-Samuels, don't you know how incredibly unhygienic it is to have your—"

"Blah, blah, blah, you're smart, we get it! Sorry, Omi....But I'm doing this not because I'm stupid. I know it's not 'hygienic'. I just love to mess with Charlie over here."

Charlotte shot daggers into Kenny in an instant. "I'm sorry, but I don't recall giving you permission to call me that. Shepherd, and Clara are the only people I will ever allow to—"

"So not even your Mom calls you that?" Kenny challenged

"Are you out on a mission to prove me wrong about absolutely everything?!"

"Maybe.." He smirked, "So...? Does she?"

"No. No she doesn't!" Charlotte crossed her arms as if trying to block out her "friend's" stupidity.

Shepherd's head perked up as he came back to reality. "Oh yeah, she calls you SO many adorable nicknames, right? What are they? Pudding, cutie pie, Princess, gumdrop, baby girl—"

"Shepherd Gilligan Hubbard!" Charlotte screeched

The boy reacted just the same. "Charlie! How could you?! You promised you'd never say my middle name out loud!" He cringed covering his face.

Kenny, of course, couldn't let this new bit of information pass him by without taking advantage of it. "Gilligan? Your middle name is Gilligan? What the hell is a Gilligan?!"

"It's me, apparently." Shepherd pressed a hand to his forehead. "I was named after a 60's sitcom called Gilligan's Island. My father, Philip really loves that show. My Dad, Damian came up with my first name....so it was only fair my father got to come up with my middle name......and I can't say I'm happy about it..." Then, just as Charlotte did before, his brow dipped in deep warning. "Now, I don't want to hear you bring this up to anyone....do you understand, Omen-Samuels?"

With a gulp in his throat, Kenny nodded silently. However, knowing Shepherd's middle name was Gilligan was absolutely hilarious. Though, there was a small part of him that liked the uniqueness of it. Caleb...wasn't to exciting.

"Hey! Clara! Over here!" Charlotte called waving the redhead over.

As she shuffled over, Clara instantly faced Kenny.

"So.... what's your plan?" She asked without a moment to waste.

Ken looked on, eyes wide "Wow, hello to you too..."

"We don't have time, Kenny! You said you'd help me get my ideas around for this party!"

"Party? Um...Clarabelle, why on earth would you want to throw a party?!" Naomi chimed in

"I'm not doing it because I want to...I'm doing it because I HAVE to."

"Yes, she HAS to throw the biggest and bestest party in the history because she NEEDS to prove how much fun breaking the rules can be sometimes." Kenny stated

"Bestest...isn't a word." Naomi corrected

"Guys! I don't have time! Seriously. Kenneth, are you gonna help me or not?!" Clara raised her voice as her patients had officially flown south.

"Relax, relax. Yes, I'll help you. But...before I do...can I ask...why all the sudden you want to do this?"

Clara played uncomfortably with her fingers. "It's...just—it's like you said. I want to break the rules a little bit. My...my Moms are gone in Africa and will be gone for a whole nother week. So...why not now?"

"Your Moms are gone in Africa....and you didn't think to tell me?! We could've been throwing thrashers like...every night!" Kenny exclaimed. "Bro...I thought we were tight."

"The fact you just said 'tight' in that context is the sole reason we're not closer...bro." She then sighed, "look, I'm just really stressed lately. I'm losing my mind..."

"Oh...is it because of the final? Because, I for one have been extraordinarily on edge. It is such a riveting joy though. You know, the whole studying, trying to gather as much knowledge on a topic to then go in and get everything perfectly correct! Oh! It's such a rush!" Naomi gasped in delight, holding a hand to her heart as if her heart was beating out of control.

"When's that test anyway....?" Clara tightly shut her eyes afraid to even ask.

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow's Friday, Clara...." Her friend reminded her.

"Tomorrow?! It's tomorrow?!"

"Yeah, bro, weren't you the one who says she doesn't need to study for anything history related ever?" Kenny asked

"Well yeah but...I still need to prepare! I-I...oh god, if I fail that test...Momma and Mom will roast me alive!" She red headed girl started to spiral into clear panic. "I'm screwed!"

"Woah, woah, you're not screwed yet. Spend tonight to get ready, and I'll work on the details for the party this weekend." For once Kenny seemed concerned. This really helped pull Clara back together.

That party had to happen this weekend. She couldn't very well have a party in the middle of the week. Plus, Cady and Regina would be back by next weekend. It'd be to risky to throw a party then. Knowing Kenny was going to work on everything she needs for this party...it took a lot off her shoulders.

"Thank you, Ken. Really...I appreciate it."

"Hey, Claire...can we..talk for a moment?" Shepherd asked basically pulling her and Charlotte away from the table and to an abandoned corner where no one who would care about anything they were gonna say. "So....spill the beans. What's the real reason you're throwing this party?"

"Guys...I'm scared to death. This is the only way I think I can....make everything go back to normal..."

"Dude, chill out! What are you talking about?" Charlotte softened her voice.

Drawing a breath, Clara looked desperately up into their eyes.

"I...don't think Ethan is the one I should be afraid of..."