30

Clara couldn't sleep. She couldn't eat. She could hardly think. I was passed being unbearable. However, there was nothing she could do. There was a murderer out there. Clara had thought she knew who it was without question. Now the fact she had to question at all is what terrifies her. What if it really isn't Ethan? What if it's all a set up?

"Hey sis, maybe you should try to lay down? Sleep might help....especially if you're still going through with the party tonight." Ithlilen attempted to comfort. The way he softened his voice, and moved to her side mirrored that of how Cady would act if she were there. But one thing he lacked was Cady's ability to be convincing. Convincing so Clara would believe everything really would be okay.

"I can't sleep. Hell, I can barely think straight anymore. I'm gonna die, Ithlilen."

"Hey, being dramatic is my job. You're not gonna die, sis."

"How do you know? There's someone going around killing people. They're killing people I knew. The people who were on my side....I'm sure, I'm 1,000 percent sure I'm on their list."

"We'll protect you." Ithlilen stated with determination. "Raph and I...we won't let anyone touch you. Plus, you've got your friends too. We're all here. We're all on your side."

Clara listened as Ithlilen's steps got further and further away. She pressed a hand over her face. It was all so overwhelming and terrifying. How could things go from normal to the complete opposite so fast?

"Ithlilen?" Clara called out into the house.

"Hm?"

"You have a race tonight?"

"Yeah, but I'm not gonna go." The brother said mindlessly as he rummaged through what was left of the food.

"Why not? You should go."

"Clara, you were just saying how scared you are about this whole thing. I'm here to protect you—"

"I have Raph and all my friends too. And I'm not powerless myself, you know. These races are important to you and we both know you won't be able to go anymore once Momma and Mom come home. Go, have fun."

"Sis...are you sure—"

"Yes. I'm beyond sure."

•••••••

"On a scale of one to ten...how HAMMERED are you?" Charlotte slurred as she draped herself around Naomi's shoulders.

"Zero. I will not be partaking in this ridiculous—"

"Blah, blah, blah, smart person stuff! You know, it's okay to break the rules sometimes, Omi." Charlotte smirked holding her red solo cup in her friend's face.

Naomi's expression contorted into a look of disgust. "It most certainly is not! There are rules in place for a reason! This is so incredibly irresponsible of you all—"

"I can't hear you over the sound of how much of a killjoy you are!" Kenny interrupted taking another long sip from his cup.

"Killjoy?! I don't think you completely grasp what I had to do just to be here!" Naomi gasped as she flung her arm around to prove her point. "I lied! I lied to be here! I told my Mothers'that this party was being allowed by Clarabelle's Mothers! So I am most certainly NOT a killjoy thank you very much!"

The party raged on, music thumping, people dancing...it wasn't long before it turned into a madhouse.

"Hey! Don't throw that! It's NOT a football!" Clara exclaimed running to catch one of Cady's favorite vases from the air. The girl clutched it close to her chest so grateful it didn't break. Considering that specific vase had been passed down as a housewarming gift from Cady's mother when Cady and Regina had first moved in together back before even Clara had been born...it was very special. What made it even more irreplaceable was the fact Cady's mother had gotten it handmade from a woman in Africa who had been grateful for her help.

"Regretting this yet, Clarabelle?" Naomi asked crossing her arms in front of her friend

"If you don't like parties...you didn't have to come, you know." Kenny remarked

"I don't recall asking for your opinion...." Naomi snapped. The usually well poised girl was at her wits end. All the yelling, all the drinking....all the drugs....it was to much.

Just as Clara was about to respond, Raph approached her in a rush. He looked as if he had just saw a ghost.

"What's wrong with him?" Kenny gestured towards the silent boy.

"Raph? Are you okay? Did you find who we're looking for yet?!" Clara asked eagerly.

Raph...shook his head. Whatever it was...was something so much worse.

•••••••••••••

They rode slowly through the neighborhood. Regina eyed the amount of cars parked on the curb suspiciously as she drove.

"Why are there so many cars?"

Cady glanced up from her phone to look around. "Maybe one of the neighbors are having another party?"

Regina scoffed, "Typical of Sonia to wait until I'm out of town to throw a party. After her last one I'm surprised anyone would even show up!"

"You are not gonna pretend you had nothing to do with that!" Cady chuckled in disbelief. Sonia's last party....was supposed to be a block party for the neighborhood. However, little did Sonia know that same day Regina had planned to have a get together with her co workers. So in an attempt to one up her, Regina turned her little "get together" into a full on party. It wasn't long before Sonia's party was completely abandoned.

"I didn't! It's not my fault that she told her guests to park in our driveway!"

"Honey, no one parked in our driveway....And either way...calling her names wasn't very mature of you."

Regina sighed defeated. "Fine. Fine...but that's the only time I did anything to her!"

"What about her son's birthday?" Cady reminded. "Just because you don't like Sonia, doesn't mean Clara can't be friends with her son. Stealing all the punch from the snack bar wasn't a nice thing to do..."

"So everyone can have as much as they want except me?" Regina grumbled. "In my defense...every drop I took...I drank."

"And do you remember what happened?"

Regina cringed at the memory. "I don't think I can ever drink punch again in my life." Her stomach churned. In an instant the mood shifted, "Cads, I'm sure they're okay..."

"They didn't seem okay. We leave for a couple weeks and as soon as we're gone...so much happens? Even if they are okay...I want to be here with them. Oh...we should have never left them home in the first place! After Clara had her accident in school....we should've just stayed!"

"You can't blame yourself for things that aren't your fault. Cady, take a deep breath....we're here now. They're be fine." Regina tried to sooth. "And anyway—-what the hell?!"

"What's wrong—" Cady's eyes widened upon seeing the house. Teens smoking on the front porch, others drinking and passed out on the sidewalk and god only knows what was happening inside.

Raph, who had been passing by in the window spotted that familiar car pull up. His heart immediately dropped in his chest as he ran off to find Clara.

"Dude, he's freaking me out! What's going on with—" Charlotte questioned backing herself into Shepherd's side.

"PARENTS!" Someone screamed from the crowd. Clara paled finding it ridiculously hard to look towards the now open front door. Regina stood tall, hands on hips in her famous pose. Her eyes narrowed in on her children hiding themselves in the crowd. Though they were trying hard to stay hidden...Regina could always pick them out. Cady looked heartbroken. She thought she could trust her children....apparently not.

By this point the music had been stopped, and everyone stood frozen keeping their eyes glued on Cady and Regina at the door. Drawing in a single breath, Regina sent her icy glare to every teenager at once.

"I want each and everyone of you OUT of my house NOW." Regina huffed. Within moments, the house and yard were empty.

"Except you six." Cady exclaimed motioning to Clara, Raph and their friends. "You six, I want sitting right here on the couch!"

They all shuffled utterly terrified over to the sofa....