22

That night Clara had been sitting in the living room playing a consul game on the TV. That's when Ithlilen came down the stairs with his racing helmet tucked under his arm.

"Alright, I'm headed out to the races. See you later."

"Wait! You can't leave now! We have to FaceTime with Momma and Mom soon. Can't you just wait a little longer before you go?" Clara asked setting the gaming controller down on the coffee table before standing abruptly.

"I can't. I'm already running late, plus, my buddy will be here to pick me up soon anyway. Can't you and Raph handle it without me?"

"And what do we do when they ask to talk to you?" Clara challenged with one eyebrow furrowed in question.

"Tell then I'm not here."

"And where would you be exactly? That excuse might work a little better if it was the weekend....but it's the middle of the week, schools tomorrow, and it's final test week. They might not like that you'd be anywhere but home."

Ithlilen threw his head back in annoyance. He didn't have the time to be questioned at the moment.

"Look, just make something up. I gotta go. Marc's here." The boy stated before rushing quickly out the front door before Clara could have a chance to ask anymore questions.

"Ithlilen Leo! Ugh!" Clara growled. Her forehead found a place in her hand instantly. "Raph! Hurry, we gotta get on FaceTime with—"

Raph lead himself downstairs in a hurry. With a simple nod he sat with Clara.

"Okay, your twin decided he was gonna abandon us...so we're gonna have to cover for him. But...they're gonna wanna see him, aren't they?"

Raph nodded simply.

"Hmm....here..put this on." Clara said handing Raph one of Ithlilen's favorite jackets that had been draped over the dining room chair. "Just...stand behind the couch and pretend to be Ithlilen...just don't show your face....gosh, it'd be incredibly helpful in this moment if you were identical twins..."

Raph playfully rolled his eyes. He had definitely never wished that to be true. But willing to cover for his brother, he hung the jacket over his leg and waited for them to need "Ithlilen".

Turning on the laptop FaceTime call, they were met by Cady and Regina sitting on the hotel bed together.

"Oh hi my babies!" Cady gushed lovingly. "How are you guys?"

"Oh...we're good!" Clara greeted trying to not let the sarcasm seep into her tone. Between Ithlilen leaving them to lie for him, even though he said he wouldn't make them do that before, and the shocking bits of information she received from Ethan that day...she was anything but "good".

"I'm pretty sure when we left there were three of you. Where is the goofball anyway?" Regina chuckled.

Clara and Raph exchanged nervous glances before jumping into the plan put in place. As if it had been scripted, Clara nudged Raph gently.

"Hey, why don't you go get Ithlilen?" The girl faced the laptop again, "He had come home from school today not feeling well. He actually went to bed a little early tonight. He's...sore from his hockey game a few days ago...."

As Clara lied, Raph scurried away out of sight of the camera to throw the jacket on and walked behind the couch just as Clara had instructed before.

"Here's Ithlilen." Clara motioned to the boy standing behind her hiding his face from the camera. Cady and Regina looked at each other confused for a moment.