Chapter 1

Characters owned by Shannon Messenger

Based off of the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, following my version of what happens after Legacy.

Keefe had been in coma for 2 weeks now and Sophie was starting to get panicky.

"Keefe pleeeeaaaase wake up, we need you," Sophie transmitted to him. There was only silence, but Sophie could feel a slight warmth in his mind. She broke away, "It's no use Dex, I can't get through to him!"

"Try doing that inflicting thing while enhancing him, you do have an empath for a mom anyways." Sophie had decided to tell Dex a few details on her biological mom if he promised to not guess, she could count on him that way unlike Fitz, but she would never endanger Oralie even if she was still upset with her.

"I guess it's worth a shot," she answered.

Sophie took a deep breath and focused so she could turn on her enhancing. She had been working with Stina lately, which was NOT her favorite, but she definitely wasn't ready to start working with Oralie again. Stina had helped her to work on controlling her enhancing around empaths without using any of Dex's gadgets, and it seemed to be working.

After a minute Sophie felt a pounding in her chest and her senses buzzed with adrenaline. She reached for Keefe's hand with determination this time. She felt electricity leap up her arm which sent butterflies into her stomach. She began wondering why that  had happened when a loud ringing interrupted her concentration.

"Oops! My mom's hailing me, I better just leave. The triplets probably broke another window, I need to start working on some gadget to make sibling proof glass,"Dex muttered.

"Heheheh, good luck with that, I'm pretty sure those three can break just about anything, although you should look into bullet proof windows that humans invented, it just might work."

"Thanks, I'll be sure to look into that. Bye Sophie."

"Bye Dex, thanks again for the Mallowmelt."

"Anytime!"he answered as he left Elwin's office.

Sophie had forgotten what she was doing, then realized she was still holding Keefe's hand. She silently asked him for permission to enter his mind, then imagined him saying yes. Darkness closed around her as she pushed her mental energy into his. "Okay Keefe, I'm gonna get you out of here," she promised.

This time Sophie could feel mentions, whispers, fragments of Keefe's feelings through the air, but it wasn't enough. Keefe needed Sophie more than ever and she was willing to do whatever it took to save him. She turned on her enhancing full power as she felt static surround her senses. She could feel even more thoughts and feelings this time, but there was a different feeling in there, one that she had never seen before.

Sophie had no idea what it was until she heard a faint whisper, maybe even an ocean wave, but it felt different than the normal green breezes Keefe sent her. It slowly wound through her head with purple and pink shimmers. "What is happening?" Sophie thought, "how can Keefe send his emotions to me right now?!" Then she realized the whispers and hints of purple weren't his, they were hers, she realized.

All those times Keefe had said he felt her emotions from the heart, he had known all along, but she hadn't. "I love you Keefe," she surprised herself when she thought the words, but they filled her with the kind of emotions she had never felt around Fitz.

Then, Keefe's mind turned colorful and one thought surrounded his visions. His mental voice rasped the words "I love you too Foster."