PART 19

"Mike? It's 5 am what are you doing awake?!"

"Something happened between me and Will but we're fine now. Sorry that I woke you up, but I just remembered you said you needed to talk to me." Mike said as he rested his hand on the payphone glass.

"Okay, I have news for you." Karen said through the other side of the line.

"One of the goods or the bad ones?"

"I don't know, you tell me. Do you know about Wentworth and Maggie's trip out of Derry?"

"Yeah, Richie told me. He said it was because of their job. He also said they could get a big promotion."

"Well, I talked to them on the phone yesterday and... they actually got the promotion!"

"What? That's great! Richie will be so happy when I tell him!"

"And he will also be so happy if you decide to stay."

There was a quick moment of silence.

"W-what do you mean?" Mike asked adjusting his position.

"Wentworth and Maggie are now heads of the main office in Derry. Which means, their salary will increase. Which also means, that they have gotten the chance to keep you, since they can now raise two kids with fair conditions." She said, and Mike could have sworn she'd started sobbing.

"Wait let me get this straight: you're telling me, that now that they have the money to raise two children with fair conditions, they want me to stay with them?"

"Of course they want you to. You're their biological son after all. But only you can make that decision."

Mike stopped to think a bit. Yeah he definitely needed time to think. On one hand, he wanted to stay with the family that took care of him all of his life and did everything for him. On the other hand, he wanted to stay in Derry with his biological parents and his twin.

"I... I think... Jesus fuck..."

"Language."

Mike chuckled "Sorry..." he said.

"I think I need time to think, mom..."

"Of course, honey. I wasn't expecting you to tell me what you wanted right away."

"Do I have a deadline?"

"It would be easier if you decided until day 17 of next month, since your two months in Derry end there. But if you need more time-"

"I think that's enough time for me to think, mom."

They fell silent for a couple of seconds before Karen spoke again:

"Whatever you decide, you have to come home either way in the end of your two months. You still have your stuff here so..."

"Yeah, thanks mom. I'll tell you something as soon as possible. I love you."

"Love you too, honey. Now go to sleep."

They ended the call and Mike sighed. He stared at the house on the other side of the street. The Losers and the Party were still asleep, of course. He was jealous of them. They didn't have to go through all of this... But he knew he wasn't alone. He had Richie and the others. But he also knew, that only him could make this decision.

🐀 🐀 🐀

"Mike. Hey, Mike! Wake up sleepy head! It's almost 1 pm!" Will said shaking his friend's shoulder as to wake him up.

Mike groaned in response "Dude, how much did you sleep last night?"

"Yes."

"...what?"

"I didn't sleep shit... I need to talk to Richie-" he said getting up way too fast as the events from last night came rushing back in his head. He was about to fall out of dizziness but Will caught him.

"Woah Mike... slow down. Wake up first." He said chuckling a bit. Seeing Mike like that was kinda funny.

"Right... Sorry. But I do need to talk to him..."

They rushed down the hall where everyone was talking and preparing lunch.

"Look who decided to finally wake up." Beverly said as she looked at Mike.

Mike smiled at her and looked at the balcony in the kitchen. Richie, Eddie, Dustin and Lucas were trying to cook. But of course, it wasn't working.

He walked over to them and tapped on Richie's shoulder. The glasses-wearing boy smiled at him.

"Sup bro?"

"I need to talk to you. Like, it's really important."

Richie's smile faded to a serious expression as he signalled Dustin he would be back right away. He put the apron on the table and followed Mike outside.

"What's up?"

"I talked to my mom last night."

"...and?"

"Your parents got the promotion!" Mike said with a huge grin.

"They did?! Oh my God this is the best dAY OF MY LIFE!" Richie exclaimed so loud, Mike even noticed some of the gang inside looking at them suspiciously through the window. He shrugged them away and turned his attention back to his twin.

"Not only that."

Richie stopped the exaggerated happy movements he was doing, and looked back at the boy. Mike proceeded.

"They think they can keep me for real this time."

Richie's smile faded. He was happy, he was. But he was also worried because he was conscious of the things Mike would have to go through.

"And... do you want to stay?"

"Of course I do! But... I also wanna be with my family in Hawkins..."

"Yeah... Jeez dude, I feel sorry for you..."

"Don't be. I'm aware I have to make this decision alone. But it's hard, you know... I don't wanna leave those guys..." He said as he pointed to the window, where you could see Dustin and Lucas almost burning the meat in the oven, Eleven and Will trying to cool it with water, and Max smacking them both on the head.

"Yeah..." Richie looked back at Mike. "I don't know what you want me say... the only thing I can do now is give you my full support. Whatever decision you make. If you eventually decide to go, don't think you won't come visit me that often. I'll annoy the shit out of you until you want to get tired of me."

Mike chuckled. Something in his head clicked. His family in Hawkins had always been there for him. Always. But here in Derry was... something... He had a twin! And his new friends were amazing. His parents were so nice as well and loved him a lot. He felt like, yes, his family in Hawkins was everything to him, but he also felt like, this was happening for a reason. He felt like he needed to stay in Derry. For good. He would miss everyone... oh boy yes he would... But life isn't always how we want it to be. Life is made of changes, and those changes are happening to him now. He feels like he shouldn't let go of them.

"Yeah... I can deal with that."