2

The sun was at its brightest as it warmed up my skin, waking me up from a deep sleep. I checked the time, it was one in the afternoon. A yawn escaped my mouth and I just sat there on my bed looking at a blank wall. I stayed like that for a good minute when I suddenly remembered last night's (early morning?) event.

I scrambled up towards the bathroom- almost tripping on some clothes in the process. Looking presentable, I ran downstairs in search for Astel.

He was quietly eating a bowl of cereal, watching television.

His eyes met mine. "Oh good, you're here." He puts down his bowl. "You sleep an awful lot, you know?"

I sat on the opposite end of the couch from him. "Are you just going to stay here now? And annoy me before eventually taking my life?"

"Yes- Well, I need to make a living in the underworld."

This just made me wonder how much time I have left. Astel was not telling me anything, in fact, he seemed to enjoy my despair. Did I have two days left or is it two months? I needed to know. Two days means I'm quitting my job and live my life like it's going to end, which well it is ending. Two months means I still have to work.

I look at Astel. "Can't you.. I don't know," I sighed, "make someone else your victim?"

He shook his head. "Can't. One contract at a time."

"I never signed a contract." I scoffed, crossing my arms.

Astel rolled his eyes at me. "Sweetheart, if only you didn't ignore those warning signs I gave you."

"How the fuck are those warning signs and- Why do you keep calling me sweetheart?" My jaw clenched. "My name is Rose."

"Alright, sweetheart." He snickered.

I closed my eyes, a slight furrow between my brows. There were moments where I felt like Astel wasn't so bad, yet right now he annoyed me so much. I pursed my lips. "Where did you sleep?"

Astel was making himself a second bowl of cereal. "Your parents room, which reminds me, are you always alone in this house?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"My parents are always away on business trips. My sister, like yesterday, sometimes comes home and visit but she's mostly at her apartment."

Astel nodded, gulping down his meal. I felt his gaze on me as I put on my shoes. "Where are you going?" He asked, suspicious.

"Sundays are for groceries." I answered. Astel abruptly marched towards me, making me slightly scared. His face was blank of emotions most of the time- if not teasing. It was difficult to guess what he was thinking.

"I'm coming too." He announced.

I laughed out loud. "A devil is going to help me with my groceries?" I nudged him teasingly. "Who would of thought?"

"Sweetheart, don't forget your life depends on me," he said, scowling. "So don't test my limits." And of course, Astel is back to be the moody little shit he is. I glared at his back while he calmly walked towards his car as if he did not just threaten me. "We're taking my car," he said.

"Great," I mumbled, sarcastically.

On the ride there, none of us spoke. Thankfully, Astel filled the silence with the radio. I hummed along some songs I recognized. Astel, on the other hand, payed attention to the road. I glanced at him from time to time. I focus back on the passing view with my blush covered cheeks when he caught me. The corners of his mouth turned up, and I mentally scolded myself for taking glimpses of him in the first place.