4

"Rose! Wait up!" I turn around and see Ethan running out of the company building, hands waving frantically in the air. I clutched my cross-body bag, which I didn't wear it across my body, it hanged on my right shoulder instead. He now stood in front of me.

"Ethan? Is something wrong?" I asked, worried.

He tried catching his breath before asking "Are you free right now?"

I tilted my head, confused. "Yes?"

"Grab a bite with me?" He flashed a hopeful yet nervous smile, it would be cruel to take that twinkle in his eye away. I accepted his offer, following him to his car that was parked not far away. It was a white Mercedes-Benz. I grinned, it was amusing how even in cars Astel and Ethan didn't get along.

Ethan had a white Mercedes-Benz while Astel had a black Lexus. Ethan opened the passenger door for me and bowed like a servant to which I chuckled. It was nice knowing he was comfortable enough with me to joke around, and well I was comfortable around him too. He smiled and jogged around into the driver's seat.

The ride was filled with small talks and radio music. It didn't take long for us to arrive in front of a small, cozy looking place. A twenty-four-hour neon sign flashed brightly in the window. I had never come here before. It was a pleasant surprise to see he brought us to a burger specialised pub. I knew that because the menu was filled with different types of burgers.

Grilled cheese, Sriracha burger, Vegetarian burger, and many more options to choose from. A bit overwhelming, but everything looked appetizing. I could even hear the fries being dipped in oil, only making my mouth water.

I couldn't make up my mind, too hard. I'm assuming he came here before, I told him to order for the both of us while I reserved a seat in the back. A few moments of casually glancing around the room, I see Ethan approaching, holding a tray of food. He plopped down.

"Sorry, I would've brought you to a fancier restaurant, but it was last minute." He scratched his head apologetically, flashing a smile that was contagious. Almost too perfect.

I shook my head and took a first bite and a second. "I prefer this, actually." Fancy places made me anxious, they were filled with high ranked people, prone to snobs. Of course, Ethan was an exception. Plus, I wouldn't be able to afford anything (I was not about to make Ethan pay a hundred-dollar bill). I bet you'd even have to pay for the water. The tap water would probably be filled with magical dust from the rich mines of Africa. I snort.

"Rose? Are you listening to me?" Ethan stared at me with big baby blue eyes.

"Sorry, you were saying?" I bit my bottom lip, hoping he wasn't offended.

"Wow Rose. Am I that boring?"

I gulped. Was he mad? "Ah... no I'm so sorry. I was just-"

He cuts me off, breaking into laughter. Did I say something funny? "I'm just messing with you." He pats my head, then takes a sip of his drink. I was physically able to feel the heat building up in my cheeks.

"I was asking if you wanted to go see a movie this weekend?"

I widened my eyes. A movie? When was the last time I had gone to the theaters to watch a movie? Excitement overtook me. My mouth cracked into a full set of teeth.

"I'd love to!"

"Great, then I'll text you the infos."

We both finished eating our burgers. I took a last sip of my soda then threw it into the trash. We hopped back in his car. I gave Ethan directions to my house. He drove swiftly with one hand on the wheel, the other hanging from the window. The breezy wind blew inside, and while I struggled to keep my hair from covering my face, his stayed perfectly still with gel.

He finally parked in front of my two-story house. There were lights inside, signs of someone waiting for me.

"See you at work tomorrow, Rose."

"Obviously, manager." I salute him and got out. When I stood outside the front door, I waved Ethan off. Out of sight, I unlock my door.

Astel stood in the entryway, arms crossed with a huge frown. I sighed and closed the door. I tried walking past him, but it was nearly impossible when his bulky body took most of the space. I was cornered between the door and Astel.

"Where were you?" His voice was low and accusing, eyes cold and piercing.

I strained my neck to look up at him. "I was out."

"Out?" He scoffed, sweeping his hand across his hair. "And blondie drove you home?" He spat like the word 'blondie' was pure venom, that if he said 'Ethan' would kill him.

"Yes."

"Did it not cross your mind to warn me you'll be out?"

I didn't answer, because frankly, it didn't cross my mind. I rubbed my neck nervously.

"Well?," he urged, "You weren't even answering my calls! I thought you died or something, and the worst part?"

I waited for him to continue. "I wouldn't even be the one to take your life!" He yelled, walking away. I watch him, astonished by what he had just blurted.

Amazing, really. I checked my phone and indeed- six missed calls. The notifications were muted, no wonder I hadn't noticed. I walked to the kitchen. Astel was sitting on the kitchen island's stool, fidgeting with his hands. Maybe I should buy him a stress ball next time.

I patted his back, maybe it would lift his mood.

"Ethan asked to grab a bite," I explained.

He glared at me, and I swat my hand away. "What about me?"

"What do you mean?" I leaned against the island.

"I'm hungry, but you already ate." He looked at me like I committed the biggest sin.

I blinked. "Okay? Make your own food?"

A strange noise emitted from his throat. He said, "You know what, never mind. I'm not hungry."

I take a deep breath. I should have seen this coming. Calm, Rose. I cannot lose braincells over a moody Astel. "Alright." I walked away. But I stopped in my tracks and tell him "Before I forget," I pause, observing his expression, "I'll be going to the movies with Ethan this Saturday."

"YOU WHAT?" Astel got up so fast, I thought the stool would fall. I wince, Astel ran towards me, shaking me by the shoulders back and forth. "I can't believe you're going on a date with blondie, with someone who drives a white Mercedes." He shudders, said the last part with utter disgust.

"A date?," I stammered, "It's not a date."

He rolled his eyes. "Oh don't give me that BS, sweetheart. A boy and girl going to the movies alone? That's the most stereotypical date ever, which is to be expected I guess coming from him, still, even a blind person can tell it's a date."

"Ethan didn't say it was a date," I muttered.

"Gosh, why do you keep saying his name?" Astel groaned, taking a seat on the couch, head in his hand, elbows resting on his knees. "Look at you, you're even blushing."

My heart pounded. "That's because you keep making me uncomfortable!"

He peeked at me from in between his fingers, then a smirk appeared. "Like butterflies?"

"No, it feels more like when someone asks you a question, but you don't understand. Ask them to repeat yet you still don't get it. Then answer either yes or no hoping it was the right answer. And you're left feeling awkward and uncomfortable."

Astel cleared his throat. "Right. Well I'm still against this Saturday plan of yours."

"You can't say that," I frowned, "You literally told to me to get out more."

Astel got up, his hair a mess from running through it multiple times. Stalking towards me, he growled "Yeah?" I was quiet, my confidence wavering. Still, I hold his stare. "Well have fun." He brushed past me, and I wasn't so sure if he was sarcastic, or he was forcing himself to be nice.